Starting out in our early 50's.

zen2185RI

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

Jason, it is sad that you are not ready to step up to the big rigs.  In late November/early December we will be selling the rig in our signature.  Been a great full-time rig.

Hope you have a fantastic time in the RV.  

Ken

This is a great way to save some money, and get a proven rig package. Buying from someone retiring out of a rig, especially a well maintained one will often be a better long-term value than the progression of RVsoften go through. The drawback is you need to be reasonably sure that the RV lifestyle is for you, but even if it's not, you should be able to sell for very close to your purchase price. Good luck doing that with a new combo.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:35 PM, TXiceman said:

Jason, it is sad that you are not ready to step up to the big rigs.  In late November/early December we will be selling the rig in our signature.  Been a great full-time rig.

Hope you have a fantastic time in the RV.  

Ken

Unfortunately we are making a sprint to get our debts paid off while maxing out retirement/HSA investments.  This is limiting us to smaller sized RVs.  I just don't have the money right now and don't want to take any new debt to purchase a replacement for my 2020 RAM 1500.  

I completely get your point, and that is how my dad did it.  He had his 1989 RAM 250 with the Cumins diesel.  That put him in the driver seat to buy a well maintained Airstream.  The last one he bought was a family moving up to a larger RV for retirement, and it only cost him $12500 in 2002.  That same 28' footer in the shape it was in would sell for a great deal more.  I don't recall the model name or year.  Later in 2010 timeframe he got rid of his 89 RAM with well over 350k miles and bought a Toyota Tundra to two it.  He was not a fan towing it with the Tundra.  It was in specs, but a real beast to two with such a small truck.  

I wish he would have kept it.  If he did, we would have certainly bought a RAM 2500 to meet our needs.  As you pointed out, it's ideal to find someone that is upgrading to purchase their used well maintained RV.  That is our hope.  I've only pointed out new models as a means to understanding the weights and my limits.  Heck if I could find a 23' Airstream Safari in excellent shape and reasonably priced, I'd buy that.

Thank you

Jason

Good for you for understanding the problem with having too much trailer for a truck and doing your research before you plunk down money.  I’m active on a Lance owners forum and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read posts by people who buy one of their bigger trailers because it is “within specs” for towing, but then discover that things aren’t that simple, they have too much trailer for their TV and their towing experience is scary.

Recently I read about someone who was having trouble with their air suspension system and getting their WDH set up.  I don’t know if they ever really solved issue, I know they switched to a ProPride hitch because they couldn’t get the E2 hitch provided by their dealer dialed in correctly, but still had issues.  If your truck has air suspension, make sure you understand how to use it with a WDH.

If you narrow your search to a couple of brands, do a search for forums that are specific for that brand.  You can get a better idea of what to expect from that brand and for specific models (I know Lance makes two trailers almost the same length.  Because of design, one is naturally tongue heavy while the other is a bit tongue light - makes a difference as far as tow vehicles and trailer loading).

Have fun with your search!

51 minutes ago, zen2185RI said:

we are making a sprint to get our debts paid off while maxing out retirement/HSA investments.  This is limiting us to smaller sized RVs.  I just don't have the money right now and don't want to take any new debt

Having traveled the road that you are now on, I believe that you are doing the right thing. We paid off everything before retiring and going on the road, or finished that when we sold the house and paid off the last of the mortgage. Since that time we have managed to stay completely debt free by adjusting our larger purchases to fit the budget. It could take a little more time but with planning and research you can get something to work without over spending. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but the guy in this video is a certified RV inspector and has a YouTube channel. This video is his take on the best brands of travel trailers - at different levels - and he talks about both new and used:

Travel Trailers

I know you say you're not there yet, but here's his video on travel trailers vs. fifth wheels:

TT vs. 5W

His channel has a number of other interesting videos, too.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

As a side note you are lucky you did not have that 1989 Ram 250 Cummins. The 89 Cummins Ram had no turbo or inter-cooler. It took Dodge several years to get it right. We full-timed for seven years pulling right at 80% Tow capacity of our 1992 Ram 1 Ton Diesel Dually long bed. It had a bit too little radiator so in 1993 they went to the under bed auxiliary cooler and fan. I bought one and installed it on my 1992.

I agree that a good used rig, truck and trailer, as long as they are within tow ratings, can be a smart solution.

Some folks coming off the road may want to trade a bigger truck for a newer smaller truck. Money may not be the limiting factor.

Best of luck! We also retired early and moved into our full time rig at age 45, but our two boys were grown and gone by then. Debt free and remain so. We paid cash for both our used rigs and all our used trucks. But the only one we towed two 36 fivers full time with was the 92 Diesel dually.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

As a side note you are lucky you did not have that 1989 Ram 250 Cummins. The 89 Cummins Ram had no turbo or inter-cooler. It took Dodge several years to get it right. We full-timed for seven years pulling right at 80% Tow capacity of our 1992 Ram 1 Ton Diesel Dually long bed. It had a bit too little radiator so in 1993 they went to the under bed auxiliary cooler and fan. I bought one and installed it on my 1992.

I agree that a good used rig, truck and trailer, as long as they are within tow ratings, can be a smart solution.

Some folks coming off the road may want to trade a bigger truck for a newer smaller truck. Money may not be the limiting factor.

Best of luck! We also retired early and moved into our full time rig at age 45, but our two boys were grown and gone by then. Debt free and remain so. We paid cash for both our used rigs and all our used trucks. But the only one we towed two 36 fivers full time with was the 92 Diesel dually.

It did have a turbo but not inter-cooled in the 1989 RAM 250 - 5.9L Cummins 6BT (12 Valve)

Debt free is going to be key.  We are not planning a full-time RV life.  If I can get the wife to jump on my bandwagon, we'd still only be part-timers.  Going out as often as I could.  My bucket list is long.  

Jason

Looking at the following, 2013 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRB.

Specs:

• Length - 30.92 (bit longer than I was looking for)
  • GVWR (lbs) - 7750
  • Dry Weigh (lbs) - 5615
  • Payload Capacity (lbs) - 2315
  • Hitch Weight (lbs) - 630

With a payload of 1673 - That leaves us with 1043 (lbs) for passengers and gear in the truck.  Total weight of the 2 of us brings it down to 593.  The 7750 is below the 8K mentioned in other replies to this thread.

Again, this is just an example to make sure that I am looking at the numbers correctly.  Oh and since fresh water post from earlier of 27 (gallons) is considered low, this one has 46 gallons.  

Within the next year to year and a half, three major debts will be paid off.  Freeing up funds to start looking seriously.

Jason

7 hours ago, zen2185RI said:

Debt free is going to be key.  We are not planning a full-time RV life.  If I can get the wife to jump on my bandwagon, we'd still only be part-timers.  Going out as often as I could.  My bucket list is long.  

I am so happy that we did what you are working on now to be debt free. I have been retired long enough to observe that most people do better after retirement if they are debt free and remain that way. The only debts that we have had since retirement are a couple of credit cards that we pay the balance of every month. I do use a credit card for most purchases for security and the 2% rebate. While we did retire to full-time RV living for 12 years and loved it, I realize that it isn't the best lifestyle for everyone and you have the option of change, should you both choose to do so. The bucket list is important to get started on and the same is true for the one of your wife. As I look back I consider that the key decisions for us were getting debt free and getting started as early as economically possible. 

6 hours ago, zen2185RI said:

Looking at the following, 2013 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRB.

Specs:

• Length - 30.92 (bit longer than I was looking for)
  • GVWR (lbs) - 7750
  • Dry Weigh (lbs) - 5615
  • Payload Capacity (lbs) - 2315
  • Hitch Weight (lbs) - 630

With a payload of 1673 - That leaves us with 1043 (lbs) for passengers and gear in the truck.  Total weight of the 2 of us brings it down to 593.  The 7750 is below the 8K mentioned in other replies to this thread.

Again, this is just an example to make sure that I am looking at the numbers correctly.  Oh and since fresh water post from earlier of 27 (gallons) is considered low, this one has 46 gallons.  

Within the next year to year and a half, three major debts will be paid off.  Freeing up funds to start looking seriously.

Jason

That trailer might work.  However, don’t count on the hitch weight being 630 lbs - that’s most likely the hitch weight for a basic trailer without options or batteries.  The one that you linked to has a microwave and air conditioning.  Add batteries some water and your stuff, and the trailer will probably spend most of the time close to its GVWR of 7750.

I would expect the hitch weight of your loaded trailer to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 950 lbs.  That still leaves you 270 lbs for cargo.  It’s doable, if you are very careful about what you take with you.

You are so smart to be looking at all this now, before you buy anything!  I’ve been reading a thread on another forum about someone who went by the published dry weights only and bought a tongue heavy trailer based on its published hitch weight.  The first time he towed it with his Tahoe, it was a disaster.  He sold the Tahoe and is in the process of selling the trailer, losing money on both - he’s very bitter about the whole thing.  You certainly won’t be that guy!

Keep asking questions!

We started working on our excessive debt back in 2006.  Not like we were not paying things down before, but we were on the slide at that time.  By the time 2008 rolled around and things crashed, we were already had a plan in place.  That plan has been revised so many times since, but it's working.  

52 seems a little early to be really considering retirement, but I feel like we should be establishing a plan.  Sure it's going to change 1, 10, 1000 times before actual retirement.  In fact, I don't even know what retirement will look like.  I might be working part time.  I still feel that we should be working on a base plan.  My wife is 54 and just can't wrap her head around starting to plan.  She tells me there is nothing we can right now other pay down the debts.  She has given me a soft ok about a travel trailer when we get three of a major payments taken care of.  

1 hour ago, zen2185RI said:

52 seems a little early to be really considering retirement, but I feel like we should be establishing a plan.  Sure it's going to change 1, 10, 1000 times before actual retirement.  In fact, I don't even know what retirement will look like.  I might be working part time.  I still feel that we should be working on a base plan.  My wife is 54 and just can't wrap her head around starting to plan.  She tells me there is nothing we can right now other pay down the debts.

I very much disagree with that view. When I left the Navy I went to work for a company that had an early retirement based on years of service & age, with the age and years of service totaling 90 and a minimum age of 55. That was part of my plan when I joined the company at age 26. When the IRA was created in 1974 I began to save for retirement in a small way. Then in November 1978 Congress created the 401k and my employer offered to match each dollar employees put into one up to 5% of our pay. It was that early start that enableed us to retire when I was 57 and qualified for my employer's early retirement. I retired in 2000 and consider that decision to have been one of the best that I ever made. As a part of that plan we attended a preretirement planning seminar in 1998 and so planned what we would do in retirement and that too has helped with our successful retirement. We retired with a loose plan for the future including some goals. The memories that we made are some of our greatest treasures.

13 hours ago, zen2185RI said:

It did have a turbo but not inter-cooled in the 1989 RAM 250 - 5.9L Cummins 6BT (12 Valve)

Jason

Jason thanks for the correction -my bad. It has been 17 years since my 92 Cummins 12 valve was replaced.  Old timer's moment!

I think you are right on track doing it slowly and debt free. We did everything West of the Mississippi, and from Mexico up to and including Alaska, up the ALCAN and back down the Cassiar Highway. Anyway I had the 92 Ram 1 ton long bed for ~ nine years. After we came off the road we had three 3/4 tons Ram/Cummins diesels - a 2002, 2006, then the last one a 2004.5 long bed, all Cummins diesels.

Debt free is key and to stay that way you may find you need need more towing/stopping headroom.

My motive was to be able to full time RV on only my military retirement, fully retired, with only fuel, campground and food as normal; expenses. Without a vehicle or house/RV note it was fine back in the day of cheap diesel back 1997-2003. We do the same for houses and cars with the goal of living on our retirement and SS now. My Ram of choice is the 2007 5.9 If I were to buy another fiver tow vehicle but it would have to be well maintained, a long bed, and under 150k miles. If you do ever switch have a budget for ~ $1500 a year for repairs as a failed Injector pump as I had can cost several thousand to replace. Still way less than a $500 payment for years.

Best of luck, you will love RVing. Sounds like you have the temperament and attention to detail needed.

And just for fun-

zIbnswal.jpg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 4 months later...