Need Internet Solution for Remote Area - Hotspot won't work and Starlink is No Longer an Option

mrsbaatz

Desperately searching for a solution for internet in a remote area of Michigan.  The Hotspot only works sporadically and only if we set it out about 30 feet from the trailer in an open field.

Starlink is no longer an option.  So what is the solution that doesn't require thousands of dollars upfront just for the equipment?  Our trailer is in a permanent spot on a private campground.  We are not interested in TV (though we do stream via Netflix, etc.) and use internet for working remotely.

Has anyone managed to crack this problem?

Boy that was our conundrum earlier this year. We have satellite internet with Mobilsat, but couldn't use it because of tree cover in our workamper campsite. We have 3 different carriers, a booster and antenna raised 5 feet above our rig, and that didn't help either.  We had to leave the job because of no connectivity.

My best advice is to try different carriers to see if that helps. Have you done that yet? 

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Just curious, but why is Starlink no longer an option?

The fact that you get hotspot service at all suggests that an external antenna setup would likely improve the situation. Since we started using an aimable MIMO Yagi antenna pair mounted above the roof of our motorhome, we've gotten usable signals even in some locations where our previous $600 booster/repeater system was marginal at best. Our antenna set is only about 15 feet off the ground, but if we were in a fixed location, I would probably use PVC pipe to get it up a fair amount higher. I use a cell tower locator site to determine which way to aim the antenna set. Your hotspot does need two antenna inputs and MIMO support of course.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Just curious, but why is Starlink no longer an option?

The fact that you get hotspot service at all suggests that an external antenna setup would likely improve the situation. Since we started using an aimable MIMO Yagi antenna pair mounted above the roof of our motorhome, we've gotten usable signals even in some locations where our previous $600 booster/repeater system was marginal at best. Our antenna set is only about 15 feet off the ground, but if we were in a fixed location, I would probably use PVC pipe to get it up a fair amount higher. I use a cell tower locator site to determine which way to aim the antenna set. Your hotspot does need two antenna inputs and MIMO support of course.

Ditto, Starlink will only get faster and provide more coverage as time goes on and they get the rest of the world covering constellation up and running.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Another one shot member?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire