RVMP Flextemp brand

rollinbrian

Never heard of that brand before.  We are on our second RV with an on demand water heater.  Both were/are Truma tankless water heaters.  We have been very happy with that brand over the last 5+ years.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

16 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Never heard of that brand before.  We are on our second RV with an on demand water heater.  Both were/are Truma tankless water heaters.  We have been very happy with that brand over the last 5+ years.

How well do those work boondocking in Colorado @ 18f ?

We don't stay in the cold much but those few nights as we transition from warm place to warm place would be a concern.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

5 hours ago, rollinbrian said:

How well do those work boondocking in Colorado @ 18f ?

We don't stay in the cold much but those few nights as we transition from warm place to warm place would be a concern.

The tankless Truma water heater works very well.  I wouldn’t own an RV without it based on our experiences.  So far the coldest temps we have seen in a rig with the Truma were right around freezing.  We had no issues.  The trailer was nice and toasty with the forced air furnace and the Truma performed with no issues.  I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t perform in colder temperatures as long as there is a sufficient water supply available.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

6 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t perform in colder temperatures as long as there is a sufficient water supply available.

Are they protected from freezing when not operating in extreme cold weather? There were several home tankless water heaters in this area that froze up and were damaged in the big freeze power outages back in Feb. of 2021. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I share Kirk's concern. I've thought about it and it seems to be a simple task to incorporate a temperature sensor and freeze protection in these units, but would use LP in the process. The better 120V units usually have freeze protection built-in, but only when you have electric power.

The RVMP is gas ( I assume Propane). One gallon of propane contains 96,452 BTU, the RVMP consumes 65,000 BTU (both figures are per hour). This means the RVMP consumes approx. 3/4G  propane per hour of operation, in addition to your normal LP usage.

What I cannot find on their website is the temperature rise in degrees, which IMO is quite important during cold weather.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

From the RVMP "Details": "...the RVMP RV Flex Temp On-Demand Water Heater comes equipped with industry-first safety features like a carbon monoxide detector, propane leak detector, anti-freezing system, and anti-scald system." (emphasis added)

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

From the RVMP "Details": "...the RVMP RV Flex Temp On-Demand Water Heater comes equipped with industry-first safety features like a carbon monoxide detector, propane leak detector, anti-freezing system, and anti-scald system." (emphasis added)

It does seem to have some nice features,  freeze protection being at the top of my list.  Now to find out if it's reliable or junk, preferably prior to purchase.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Thanks for catching that Dutch, I was focused on finding the temperature rise and skipped right over that paragraph. The only thing I can find about temp.-rise is the inflow reduction when incoming temp. is low. Perhaps that feature insures really hot water outflow regardless.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

34 minutes ago, rollinbrian said:

It does seem to have some nice features,  freeze protection being at the top of my list.  Now to find out if it's reliable or junk, preferably prior to purchase.

Good things to know, but I can't help you with them. Sorry...

Dutch

1 minute ago, Ray,IN said:

Thanks for catching that Dutch, I was focused on finding the temperature rise and skipped right over that paragraph. The only thing I can find about temp.-rise is the inflow reduction when incoming temp. is low. Perhaps that feature insures really hot water outflow regardless.

Could be, but I'm not sure the reduction makes for a comfortable shower... ;)

Dutch

I read it has an 8.5kg/min production capacity, that equals 2.5 GPM, not bad when one considers the cold water flow rate to the shower too.

4 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I read it has an 8.5kg/min production capacity, that equals 2.5 GPM, not bad when one considers the cold water flow rate to the shower too.

But how much is the flow rate reduced when the input water temp is low? That would also mean lowering the cold water flow to maintain the same shower temperature.

Dutch

On 8/27/2022 at 7:09 AM, Kirk W said:

Are they protected from freezing when not operating in extreme cold weather? There were several home tankless water heaters in this area that froze up and were damaged in the big freeze power outages back in Feb. of 2021. 

There are two versions of the Truma tankless water heater.  The plus version is designed to operate in below freezing temperatures.  The below information is from Truma’s website.  This is the only on demand tankless water heater I have experience with and both of the ones I have used were OEM equipment in my DRV 5th wheels.

AquaGo Models

Truma AquaGo comfort

• Truma Hybrid Technology keeps temperature constant - no scalding
  • Continuous supply of consistent hot water
  • Simple open "Easy Drain Lever" - Winterization done
  • Exclusive decalcification technology - extends life and maintains performance
  • Ability to install the optional antifreeze kit

Truma AquaGo comfort plus

• Truma Hybrid Technology keeps temperature constant - no scalding
  • Continuous supply of consistent hot water
  • Simple open "Easy Drain Lever" - Winterization done
  • Exclusive decalcification technology - extends life and maintains performance
  • Ability to install the optional antifreeze kit
  • The industry's only true instant water heater ensuring hot water at every tap, any time
  • can be used even during freezing temperatures

event.png