Propane Fire pit

Rf170354

New to Escapees and our first time heading south this winter. We spend all summer in our trailer and periodically use our propane fire pit. As full timers we don’t often sit out at night to late. 
My question is, is it worth hauling the fire pit with us this winter and taking up the storage space and propane use? We are planning on totally boon docking in Arizona. This
may seem like a silly question but we have a small trailer and extra space is always helpful. Appreciate others opinions. 
Thanks.    Rick

I would say that it just depends on what you have to give up in order to take it along and how often you will use it. If you have not boondocked before you may find that you use it more than you have in the past.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We went thru this question about nine years ago... decided to buy one (propane firepit) and carry it with us as we began to more extensively boondock.   Plan worked beautifully, and we still use it often even as we have slowed down.   I remember after first buying it, being checked out by an Arizona Forest Ranger (around Cottonwood) for safety during a burning ban... and she was impressed - and approved use.

And campfires under Arizona night skies... are wonderful!

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Can you store it in your truck?  That would save trailer space.

You said you're boondocking totally in Arizona.  I would bring it.  If you have cloudy days it would be nice to use it and nights, definitely.  Just depends on YOU.  Everyone is different.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have ours, the one we bought at Aldi riding on top of our Solo fire pit.  Rides up there real nice and doesn't take up additional room in the truck bed.  The extra 20# propane tank in a milk crate gets swapped back and forth between the Blackstone griddle and the fire pit. as needed. 

If you haven’t been to the quartzite Arizona area for boondocking and priced firewood you will be in for a shock. A banana case sized box of wood was 12 dollars last year or 10 a box if you bought 3. Propane was 2.72-3.00 a gallon. We bought a propane fire pit down there and it already paid for itself. We could easily burn 4-5 boxes of wood a night with a lot of smoke. Buy a fire pit before you go. 

After camp hosting in many National Parks, State Parks and National Recreation areas as well as private camp grounds I have found many that will not let you have a wood fire but almost all will let you have a Propane fire even during a fire ban.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I use a collapsible steel fire box made in Kansas. It's totally enclosed. I don't know if it would be allowed in parks, but I've never felt it would be unsafe. Here is a link to the fire box I use. https://www.proudpyro.com/collections/pyro-cages. They have any other products. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, lappir said:

I use a collapsible steel fire box made in Kansas. It's totally enclosed. I don't know if it would be allowed in parks, but I've never felt it would be unsafe. Here is a link to the fire box I use. https://www.proudpyro.com/collections/pyro-cages. They have any other products. 

Rod

It would not be allowed when there was a wood fire ban.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Comes  apart and lays flat. Pyro Cage MINI - Portable Fire Pit Camp Fire

Edited by lappir
Tried to add that it comes apart and lays flat.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.