Question about the Phoneix 48/1200

Do I need to order the Bluetooth dongle to modify settings or is factory settings good? It is an option and I don't see the need. All it does is pull from batteries and creates 120v. Am I missing something? Also I will not be able to utilize the existing sub panel. The Freedom 458 had 2 inputs and 2 outputs. So I have 4 sets of Rolex wire nuted together. Need to clean this up. Can I simply pull refrigerator line off of of sub panel and run to transfer switch and feed input with that same breaker fridge was on?  

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Do I need to order the Bluetooth dongle to modify settings or is factory settings good? It is an option and I don't see the need. All it does is pull from batteries and creates 120v. Am I missing something? 

The Dongle will allow you to set the low battery cut off and restart as well as a few other settings.

Can I simply pull refrigerator line off of of sub panel and run to transfer switch and feed input with that same breaker fridge was on?  

If you have a stand alone transfer switch like the Magnum TS15 or similar, then yes you can isolate the refrigerator circuit and power it directly.  Remove the refrigerator circuit from the breaker box and wire it to the output side of the transfer switch.  Add new wire from the refrigerator breaker in the panel box to the input side of the transfer switch.  Plug the transfer switch pigtail outlet into the inverter (either directly or with an appropriately sized extension cord).  This will allow the circuit to be powered from the inverter or shore power automatically.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thank you. Factory setting according to manual is low battery 43.6. high is 56. My batteries are at 58.6. but I haven't got a warning or anything. Works great. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My Phoenix 1200 is always on.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

On 7/4/2022 at 1:02 AM, Chad Heiser said:

My Phoenix 1200 is always on.

Chad, I was looking at the blue tooth dongle and then reading about the Cerbo unit. Am I correct that it can replace the dongle? I will eventually be buying a dongle for 3 inverters and my shunt as range is poor where it is. I would bee getting close to the price of the Cerbo unit. Noticed you used the PK3 to usb to program your quattro units but didn't have your cebro yet or at least not in service.

7 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Chad, I was looking at the blue tooth dongle and then reading about the Cerbo unit. Am I correct that it can replace the dongle? I will eventually be buying a dongle for 3 inverters and my shunt as range is poor where it is. I would bee getting close to the price of the Cerbo unit. Noticed you used the PK3 to usb to program your quattro units but didn't have your cebro yet or at least not in service.

The Cerbo will allow you to turn the Phoenix inverter On/Off and put it in Eco mode.  The Cerbo will also show the status of the inverter, the AC output data from the inverter and the DC voltage the inverter sees.  You can also change the custom name of the device through the Cerbo.  The Cerbo will not allow you to make setting changes on the Phoenix though.  To make those changes, you need the Bluetooth Dongle and VictronConnect.  Once the settings are set properly though, there is no reason to change them. 

I always use an MK3 to USB device to program the large inverters (Multiplus and Quattro).  It can be done through the Cerbo if the Cerbo is connected to the internet, but that process is not always 100% effective.  Due to the communication process used over the internet, it can fail.  Victron used to give a dialog warning during the remote programming process warning that the process could fail and if it did fail, someone would have to physically program the inverter with an MK3 in person.  For some reason they have since removed this dialog warning though.  When I do program a Multiplus or Quattro through the Cerbo via the internet, I always have a plan to also physically plug into the inverter and program it if the remote process fails.  

I have six VE.Direct devices connected to my Cerbo.  The Cerbo only has three VE.Direct ports though.  Three of my devices are connected directly to the VE.Direct inputs on the Cerbo and the other three are connected to a USB hub with VE.Direct to USB adapters.  The hub is then plugged into one of the USB ports on the Cerbo.

event.png    

4 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Thanks, Chad. I was under the impression the Cerbo had Bluetooth and would replace the dongle so could use Victron connect to program. 

The Cerbo does have Bluetooth, but it is limited to some very basic functions on the Cerbo itself.  It is mainly to allow you to connect the Cerbo to a local wifi network so you can access the full functionality through VRM and the internet.

event.png    

53 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

The Cerbo will allow you to turn the Phoenix inverter On/Off and put it in Eco mode.  The Cerbo will also show the status of the inverter, the AC output data from the inverter and the DC voltage the inverter sees.  You can also change the custom name of the device through the Cerbo.  The Cerbo will not allow you to make setting changes on the Phoenix though.  To make those changes, you need the Bluetooth Dongle and VictronConnect.  Once the settings are set properly though, there is no reason to change them. 

I always use an MK3 to USB device to program the large inverters (Multiplus and Quattro).  It can be done through the Cerbo if the Cerbo is connected to the internet, but that process is not always 100% effective.  Due to the communication process used over the internet, it can fail.  Victron used to give a dialog warning during the remote programming process warning that the process could fail and if it did fail, someone would have to physically program the inverter with an MK3 in person.  For some reason they have since removed this dialog warning though.  When I do program a Multiplus or Quattro through the Cerbo via the internet, I always have a plan to also physically plug into the inverter and program it if the remote process fails.  

I have six VE.Direct devices connected to my Cerbo.  The Cerbo only has three VE.Direct ports though.  Three of my devices are connected directly to the VE.Direct inputs on the Cerbo and the other three are connected to a USB hub with VE.Direct to USB adapters.  The hub is then plugged into one of the USB ports on the Cerbo.

Chad, we don't own a PC. I have a Chromebook and my wife has an iPad. We both have android phones. Are we not able to program a multiplus

Edited by GlennWest

Chad, we don't own a PC. I have a Chromebook and my wife has an iPad. We both have android phones. Are we not able to program a multiplus

I believe there is an adaptor for the MK3 to be used on Android devices and the software (different than VictronConnect) is also available for Android devices.  I have never programmed anything this way though as I don’t have any Android devices.

event.png    

I download Victron Connect on my chromebook and it works. So this is promising. Oh well, program works, will not connect to Smart shunt. Phone connects fine. Been on the Victron community and victron connect is not supported for windows. I thought maybe since mine is Chrome and not windows it would work. Chrome is linux based. Just found out Chromebook won't work with MK3 to usb either. Sure hope the android setup works. If all else fails I could pick up a used windows machine. I am spoiled by this chromebook. So much better than Windows machine I have owned.

Edited by GlennWest

The software used with the MK3 to USB can be either VictronConnect or VE Configure.  I prefer VE Configure as I like the interface better.

event.png    

11 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Will VE configure work with Android? 

I’m not sure.  I don’t have an Android device so I don’t stay up on what Victron software will run on it.  I use a laptop for VE Configure and either my iPhone or iPad for VictronConnect.

event.png    

It is the wife's. Doesn't have a usb port though. I downloaded VE configure tool and error said for windows and chrome os not supported

Edited by GlennWest

34 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Nobody going to tell him that his Chromebook is a functioning PC?

??????. It is not windows operating system the problem. Victron does not support it. If we can find the power cord we going to try to get this old Windows 8 laptop running. I really don't want to buy one just for this. I may have to rethink this. Buying a system that requires a Windows or Mac unit that i don't need or want doesn't make much sense. 

Edited by GlennWest

Well on PKYS website in technical  Peter stated you can use Victron connect to program everything except assisants and bms settings. So that is promising. Just need the adapter for the phone.

I installed the smart dongle on my Phoneix 48/1200 today. I can get on Bluetooth anywhere in camper. My Smart shunt is within inches of it. Can only get it in room directly above it. 

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I installed the smart dongle on my Phoneix 48/1200 today. I can get on Bluetooth anywhere in camper. My Smart shunt is within inches of it. Can only get it in room directly above it. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of Victron. I keep finding "interesting" things all the time.

I have a MultiPlus II + Cerbo & Touch 50 display + SmartShunt + VE.Bus Smart dongle and now the VE.Bus to USB dongle.

Pretty sure I didn't need all of these. Anyway . . .

The Touch 50 display & VE.Bus Smart dongle "interfere" with each other. I don't remember which, but one prevents some info displaying on the other.

VE.Bus to USB dongle is essential. It allows setting parameters that the other dongle & display can't.

However, the VE.Bus to USB dongle only appears to work with a standard Windows PC. But I have a Mac. Luckily, I can install Windows on my Mac so I think that should work. I'll find out in a few days when I drive my RV up to my house window near my computer and run 25' of ethernet cord from Computer -> VE.Bus-USB dongle -> MultiPlus inverter VE.Bus. Lovely.

Finally, the advice I've been getting from the Victron support web site has been problematic -- some folks there don't know what they're talking about, and I'm too new to tell the diff. Luckily, Chad has been around here.

Finally, finally, the cherry on top was discovering that I can only use 1/2 my generator's power with the MultiPlus (see Combining L1 and L2 ...) unless I modify my gen's output.

Finally, finally, finally, despite the gotchas, I think (hope) these are growing pains. When I start wishing that I had installed a Magnum inverter instead, I think about the two Magnum MS2000s that failed me.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs