Yellowstone Closed due to flooding

24 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

So what interval do they use for housing flood maps? I was an environmental and had a few CE classes that covered this, but is was way back in the Dark Ages

As for Climate change there has been none, meaning average temp rise, in almost a decade. There was a few years before that with some temp jump, but before that something like 20 or 25 years of flat temps. Climate change is a way for 'so called climate scientists' to rake in Federal grants.

Housing flood maps are generally 100-year recurrence intervals. As for climate change, climate is far more than average temperature and I'll leave it at that...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 minute ago, mptjelgin said:

Housing flood maps are generally 100-year recurrence intervals. As for climate change, climate is far more than average temperature and I'll leave it at that...

Maybe but the energy source is temperature which has been increasing, gradually, since the end of the last ice age. 12,000 years ago. No human intervention required.

17 minutes ago, Zulu said:

We all knew you would eventually get here, but are surprised it took so long.

And now this . . .

Approx 60000 folks went to the Glasgow climate summit. It's an industry supported mostly by government funds.

Some years back I lived in a small town that was divided by a river. That river had a half mile wide flood plain. When white man settled the area the local aboriginals told them not to build on the flood plain. They did anyway. A few years later the town was washed away and many died. So what did the clever white men do? They rebuilt on the flood plain. Again they were washed away and again many died. The town was rebuilt on the higher banks the third time. My point? My point is that these events have been happening for eons. It's so called 'clever' people who ignore history and think that they can freeze us in a time warp. Believe in climate science, any climate science, if you may. But don't expect anything man does will change constant change. Some folks think they can stop change and that's simply not true.

I remember a Red Green Show episode about a new resident building a house in a spot no one had ever used before in hundreds of years. RED Green pointed out that if no one had ever built there, then there was a good reason not to.

They built anyway and the expected disaster ensued.

There is no doubt that buildings on coastal flood areas should not be allowed to renew their insurance to rebuild in flood areas. That is what is keeping those barrier island buildings in place.

But back to the original topic, park officials are saying it could cost up to $1,000,000,000 to rebuild. A similar disaster in another park was delayed for 15 years by environmental lawsuits. They want to relocate the Gardiner highway. Construction season runs from May or June to October most years. 4 or 5 months.

That fact is that us 'smart' humans are dumb. Mother Nature took millions of years to create what we see today. And us 'smart' humans expect everything to stay the same. Yellowstone is nothing like the explorers seen on their first visit. Then along came white man and tried to exploit Mother Natures work. Humans still haven't learnt the lesson.

So what's the answer? Lock it up and let Mother Nature take control again? Oh the outrage. Or let humans in and try to 'control' Mother Nature? Oh the outrage when something happens.

How did the song go? "Do don't know what we got till it's gone".

There is no one answer.

1 hour ago, bruce t said:

Approx 60000 folks went to the Glasgow climate summit. It's an industry supported mostly by government funds.

Whereas industry-sponsored climate summits draw 0 participants.

When white man settled the area the local aboriginals told them not to build on the flood plain. They did anyway . . .

So these folks would be the "not clever" people . . .

It's so called 'clever' people who ignore history and think that they can freeze us in a time warp.

Your analogy is back asswards. The clever people didn't build in the flood plain. 

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 minute ago, Zulu said:

Whereas industry-sponsored climate summits draw 0 participants.

So these folks would be the "not clever" people . . .

Your analogy is back asswards. The clever people didn't build in the flood plain. 

But "the clever poeple" did build along the river in Yellowstone?

51 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

But back to the original topic, park officials are saying it could cost up to $1,000,000,000 to rebuild. A similar disaster in another park was delayed for 15 years by environmental lawsuits.

Another bazinga!

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

And who said we are 'clever people', it's obvious that 95 out of a hundred can barely count to 20 using their fingers and toes, and those folks are dragged thru history by the thinking 5 per hundred in the western world. And IQ does not define whole falls in which bin. Attend a Mensa meeting to see what I mean.

• Kirk W locked this topic