Winter Snowbird

Twotoes

My plans to stay near Sarasota FL for next winter season 2022/2023 are not looking good due to lack of availability.  I'm not even back to my summer location and most parks are already booked. Thinking that I may try the panhandle area instead. Maybe Pensacola or Panama City but I don't know the area. Looking for recommendations for RV parks in the above area. In the alternative, also considering going to the RGV area of TX.  Maybe Corpus Cristy or Mission. Any recommendations for those places would also be welcomed.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Gulf Shores Alabama is very popular and very nice beach.  We've stayed at the state park - full of winter visitors and you can stay the whole winter there; not just 2 weeks as most state parks require.

Note:  When you get in the Panhandle of Florida and westward it gets a lot cooler.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2022 at 6:05 PM, 2gypsies said:

Gulf Shores Alabama is very popular and very nice beach.  We've stayed at the state park - full of winter visitors and you can stay the whole winter there; not just 2 weeks as most state parks require.

Note:  When you get in the Panhandle of Florida and westward it gets a lot cooler.

I'll second the Gulf Shores area.  Winter is the off season there so rates drop.  At least where we stay.  Ft. Morgan RV park is our winter home.   Definitely not houty toudy.  It's a 34 site Campground more than an RV park.  All irregular sites with fine white gravel.  About 10 west of 59 on the way out the peninsula.   Saw 35 degrees twice last winter.  Only briefly.  Temps are more moderate due to the proximity of the Gulf and Bon Secour Bay.  Will be there Oct 1st for 7 months this time.

• 1 year later...

OK Alabama will probably have snow. We tried all the winter locations - Florida, Arizona, Alabama/Mississippi.  finally landed in the Rio Grande Valley. That was 11 years ago.  Cost is in the range of $1500 to 2000 for 5 months. Electricity  is in the range from $0.14 to 0.19 per kilowatt. Winter activities in most parks.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

2 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

OK Alabama will probably have snow.

No snow on the coast of Alabama!  We spent a couple winters at Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, AL.

Full-timed for 16 Years

12 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

No snow on the coast of Alabama!  We spent a couple winters at Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, AL.

Hmm , there was enough ice to close down 10 and make just about every other road a death threat about 7 years ago . But , usually it's pretty decent . 

Oh , what about a couple years back when the whole country was in a deep freeze ? 

Alabama didn't get anything cold out of that ? 

Just curious , we were in mid-east Texas and had snow and ice . ;) 

Goes around , comes around .

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Hmm , there was enough ice to close down 10 and make just about every other road a death threat about 7 years ago . But , usually it's pretty decent . 

Oh , what about a couple years back when the whole country was in a deep freeze ? 

Yep, a few years back there was snow on Galveston Island at Christmas.

In the south if two snow flakes are reported, the area goes crazy and call it a blizzard.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

7 hours ago, Pat &amp; Pete said:

I was talking about the coast.... Gulf Shores, AL.   Once you go inland, yes it's cold and snows.  

https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/alabama/gulf_shores

Full-timed for 16 Years

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

I was talking about the coast.... Gulf Shores, AL.   Once you go inland, yes it's cold and snows.  

https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/alabama/gulf_shores

That must be a very special place .

We were 4 miles from the Mississippi gulf coast during that ice storm and I can say , first hand , there was plenty of ice and idiots on the roads and ditches . 

We spent 4 winters at that camp and every one had cold spells . Granted , nothing like the west Michigan winters we were use to , but ...  ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete

1 hour ago, Pat &amp; Pete said:

That must be a very special place .

We were 4 miles from the Mississippi gulf coast during that ice storm and I can say , first hand , there was plenty of ice and idiots on the roads and ditches . 

We spent 4 winters at that camp and every one had cold spells . Granted , nothing like the west Michigan winters we were use to , but ...  ;)

Yes,  I remember... not fondly .... the Michigan winters. We got all the lake effect snow dropped on us.  Don't miss it.

Full-timed for 16 Years

16 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Yes,  I remember... not fondly .... the Michigan winters. We got all the lake effect snow dropped on us.  Don't miss it.

I have been missing the Michigan summers lately . We recently bought a house in western Arkansas and the temps have been more than I really care for .