YellowStone

To visit YellowStone I will have to park my rig outside the park and simply do day use? Or can I bring my rig into the park for the day?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

38 minutes ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Or can I bring my rig into the park for the day?

Unless things have changed recently, you can drive the motorhome into the park but you will probably find parking to be very limited for something so large. If you wish to stay in the park I would definitely be getting reservations in the campground ASAP! We have stay in the park with RVs many times over the years but I'd not want to drive a motorhome around as my primary transportation.

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know where you could park it outside the park, maybe in West Yellowstone. I don't recall seeing any large public parking lots there however. And it's a long way from there to the geyser basins. People who haven't been there have no appreciation for how big the park is. Cody is way too far away.

Good Luck finding a camp to reserve

When we stayed there some years ago we got a campground between Yellowstone and Tetons, then drove the car where we wanted to go. Yes, we drove the same road a few times, but still lots cheaper than driving a MH.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We have driven through Yellowstone on numerous occasions with our 38ft MH, the last time being in July 2017.   Personally we didn't feel it affected us much at all (but we don't sweat the small stuff typically), finding huge parking areas in various parts of the park.   Yes for sure there are some areas where we couldn't access easily but were happy to park a little away and walk back to.   The major attractions we personally had no issues visiting and seeing.   Of course the past two plus years may be a different story with demand recently escalating.

There are numerous boondocking areas outside of the park NFS land etc.   There are at least 14 CGs in the Gallatin National Forest area within a 35 mile radius of the park roughly.  Do a search on the map and NFS websites.

Also:  The Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone flows through the Shoshone National Forest through the awesome Clarks Fork Canyon into BLM-administered public lands, located just inside the mouth of the canyon.

Enjoy your time no matter how long you can spend in there.    Some folks can only manage a day trip through it all and others a couple of weeks, but definitely worth the experience for even a taster :)

FYI, when planning a visit to Yellowstone NP, read their website first. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

One used to be able to drive in and find an open dry camping spot if you arrived before 10-11AM - before the pandemic. Today is totally different.

The only FHU CG is Fishing Bridge, reservations required. I have in the past called around 10AM and asked if there was a one-night cancellation. I got lucky a few times and they had a cancellation, I took it, then next morning I did the same only in person. I wound up being able to stay 2-3 days but had to move every morning. That made for a very long day.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are a few Forest Service campground (no hookup) on the east side of the park (on the way to Cody).  My 40' MH fit easily into the first one out of the park (Newton Creek if I remember correctly).  It is 14 miles east of the east entrance to the park.  Was nice taking the car back through the park.

Check out: https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/rockymtn/shos.htm and look for campgrounds around Wapiti.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

7 hours ago, lenp said:

There are a few Forest Service campground (no hookup) on the east side of the park (on the way to Cody).  My 40' MH fit easily into the first one out of the park (Newton Creek if I remember correctly).  It is 14 miles east of the east entrance to the park.  Was nice taking the car back through the park.

Check out: https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/rockymtn/shos.htm and look for campgrounds around Wapiti.

Lenp

I believe that the Rex Hale and Wapiti campgrounds have some sites with electric. Outside of West Yellowstone, I seem to recall the Forest Service Rainbow Point and Baker's Hole campgrounds having some electric sites.

Edited by trailertraveler