Question, recharge the AC, do it yourself or take it to a shop?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Thought I would up date this thread, I went down to the local auto parts store expecting to buy a do it yourself recharge kit; as I endure living in the Peoples Republik of Washington, this can no longer be done, these types of products have been outlawed and can't be bought or sold in the PRoW, gotsta save the childern, the planet and the polar bears I guess.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

14 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I was in the refrigeration business since 1965 and I have never heard of Synthetic R134A.

R134a is 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane.

Here are the new rules for R-134a going forward.

https://www.epa.gov/snap/snap-regulations

Since I retired, I have not been keeping up with SNAP regulations.  I did find one article that says not to mix the R134a with any synthetic R-134a.  You will need to totally remove all the original R134a and evacuate the system.  Also look to see what oils are now compatible with the new refrigerant.

The strange thing was back when R134a was first introduced by DuPont, I noticed that R134a had a very high GWP (global warming potential) and figured it would eventually be replaced.  

Ken

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot