yet another domicile question

swissone

We are current residents of Nevada but plan on selling our home and going full time RV living this summer of 2022. Since our licenses and vehicle and voter registrations are currently in Nevada, does it make sense to just establish our domicile here as we migrate over to fulltime RV life? I know Nevada isn't one of the "big three" preferred domicile states, there is no state income tax and most of the things we'd have to demonstrate to establish domicile, I believe we already have. Would there be any advantages to us establishing domicile in say...Texas such as using Escapees mail forwarding service, lower DMV fees, or other reasons I'm not aware of?  thanks, New Forum Member, Bob

We've known full-timers who domiciled in Nevada.  There was even a popular mail forwarding service that they all used.  Sorry I don't recall the name.  If that situation works for you financially I can't see a reason not to domicile there.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Your tax preparer and legal advisor may be your best official resources. Those of us who have full timed for a while are still learning most likely . Seems the best lessons are when you do something wrong and someone tells you it was wrong. If you do something wrong and no one is hurt or otherwise affected is it still wrong??? Yes, but mostly if you get caught. I exceed the speed limit at times, I know it's wrong and I won't argue if I get pulled over. Won't do it in a "School Zone" or another hazard area, but out on the open road with plenty of good visibility I sometimes exercise the upper ranges of the tachometer.  

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

You need to verify that Nevada DMV will allow you to use mail a forwarding service as your address on your driver's license and also for vehicle registrations. I believe that they will as I know at one time there were a number of people on the forums who were fulltime our of Nevada, but it has been some time so I do think that you should verify that. If you prefer to keep Nevada as your domicile and expect to one day return there, I would keep it so long as you don't have other problems. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, swissone said:

We are current residents of Nevada but plan on selling our home and going full time RV living this summer of 2022. Since our licenses and vehicle and voter registrations are currently in Nevada, does it make sense to just establish our domicile here as we migrate over to fulltime RV life?

Your domicile is already established--it's Nevada, where you're currently living.  When you start traveling, you'll just be Nevadans who are traveling.

Is your driver's license a Real ID?  If not, I'd get it upgraded to one right now, while you still have a residence in Nevada that you can use for the physical address, and you have easy access to paperwork that shows that address, if you need any.

In that same vein, if I were you, I'd try to renew it now rather than wait for the expiration date, while you still have a physical address where you're actually living--a very clean transaction.  That will extend the time when it will come up for renewal again. 

Actually, Nevada has an early renewal process that it says is "highly recommended for those who are planning an extended trip outside of Nevada," which is what you're doing.  Scroll down to "early renewal" on this site:

https://dmv.nv.gov/dlrenewal.htm

You should get your new mailing address well in advance of when you start traveling, and immediately start using it, to give everything time to get switched over.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:40 PM, Blues said:

Your domicile is already established--it's Nevada, where you're currently living.  When you start traveling, you'll just be Nevadans who are traveling.

Is your driver's license a Real ID?  If not, I'd get it upgraded to one right now, while you still have a residence in Nevada that you can use for the physical address, and you have easy access to paperwork that shows that address, if you need any.

In that same vein, if I were you, I'd try to renew it now rather than wait for the expiration date, while you still have a physical address where you're actually living--a very clean transaction.  That will extend the time when it will come up for renewal again. 

Actually, Nevada has an early renewal process that it says is "highly recommended for those who are planning an extended trip outside of Nevada," which is what you're doing.  Scroll down to "early renewal" on this site:

https://dmv.nv.gov/dlrenewal.htm

You should get your new mailing address well in advance of when you start traveling, and immediately start using it, to give everything time to get switched over.

TY and good advice. I do have the Real ID Nevada drivers license already thats good till 2025 so I'll start checking with dmv policies and getting a forwarding address started. thanks, swissone