Battery powered Impact Wrenches

lappir

Be aware that the wrenches typically sold in the hardware stores are NOT the same as you'll find at a real tool shop.  Plus, when I bought my Milwaukee Fuel, I got it for over $100 less at the Milwaukee repair center than I could find it in Lowes/Home Depot/Amazon.

Unless you're going to be using this type wrench frequently, just buy a good breaker bar and a piece of pipe, and put the rest of the cash back in hiding.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

12 hours ago, Truckman said:

I have a corded electric from Harbor Freight I got on sale many years ago for $40. It has worked flawlessly including on the road using my generator. I wanted a cordless but was too tight to spend all that for one.

The other issue about buying cordless tools that you will use seldomly is that the batteries need exercise or they will not work when you need them.  While there are advantages to having them, we with service air available do better with WAY less expensive air tools.  They will be there when you need them.  Just a little Marvel Mystery Oil when you put them away will help them with humidity in the air.  And a surge air tank is pretty inexpensive as well, for those times where volume is needed.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Older IR air tool - unbreakable and works.  Unfortunately your truck air will not run one for long.

6yo 18V Dewalt 12" impact - junk.  Good for spinning loose nuts off.   Don't know why I even keep it around.

Everybody I talk to today tells me the Milwaukee Fuel is the go to tools right now.   At the price.... I use a breaker bar.

For those who remember me from back when.....just dropped in for a visit.  Sold the truck a couple years ago, and the last 2 years we spent caring for my elderly mother- she slid deep into dementia.  She passed very suddenly a couple weeks ago.  Quietly, at home, holding my hand & leaning against my shoulder.   Now my wife is already "agitating" for a camper.....

Edited by jkennell

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Hey Jeff, welcome back.

I have many breaker bars and lengths of pipe, one cordless impact, and several air impacts.  Unless a job involves lots of  fasteners, it's usually faster to just grab the hand tools.  Besides, I'm old and fat, need the exercise.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Hey Jeff, welcome back.

I have many breaker bars and lengths of pipe, one cordless impact, and several air impacts.  Unless a job involves lots of  fasteners, it's usually faster to just grab the hand tools.  Besides, I'm old and fat, need the exercise.

Thanks!   Still here, gonna take awhile to "catch up" enough a vacation will be possible....

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Hey Jeff, welcome back.

I'm just old and lazy. I will wander all over the shop looking for a power tool before I reach for the hand tools. That gives me all the exercise I need. 😎

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 5:57 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

I have a Kobalt (Lowes) 1/2” battery impact on my truck since I use it only occasionally.  Have had it 7 years and must say I’m pleased with it.  I’m like Rod, when younger had a lot of Craftsman tools and was pleased with them.

For the money the Colbalt 20v is doing a great job.  Much lass than the top of the line unit from Milwaukee.  Glad I got it,Los of uses.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

On 3/20/2022 at 9:09 AM, Jaydrvr said:

For me, this sort of shenanigans is the number one reason to cancel a brand. When the voltages claimed are say, 18, 19, 20 volts, then they're using the same cells, but claiming different nominal voltages. Just change the method of attachment and instantly make the entire previous line obsolete. Porter Cable did that to me, so I'm done with them. Now, I research a company's battery history first before spending hard earned dollars. Okay, rant over. I apologize for hijacking your thread and not answering your question, but this is a sore spot for me. Jay

I'm right there with you Jay.