Anderson connectors for inverter

We had discussion in past about bypass systems and decided expensive for it. Some suggested just use wire nuts in case of failure. Been seeing lots of YouTubers using Anderson connectors a lot and really like them. Your thoughts on using them on inverter shore power connections. One on incoming power and two mating connections on inverter and camper. Just unplug and plug in for working on unit. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, Indeed quality high current rated two pole connectors (200 or 300 or more amps ???) can "work" for say the DC + and - Inverter and Battery connections (I see a lot of them used on winches or tow vehicle to trailer high current DC) especially ones not often disconnected. However, I prefer hard wire connection on those high current devices and with proper rated disconnects or over current protection in place, its not all that often you would ever need additional connections. While sure that can "work" its just one more connection I prefer NOT to use especially if there's other suitable disconnect methods. NOT TO RAIL AGAINST THEIR USE, THEY ARE GOOD QUALITY....

On the AC side I prefer hard wire other than the shore power plugs and if an EMS or Surge Protector is in place hard wired inside the RV versus hanging out on the pedestal. Twist Lock and other weather resistant methods on shore power cords seem fine.  

But hey that's JUST ME even if sure other methods work fine TO EACH THEIR OWN

Best wishes Glenn

John T   Live dry camped at Jety Park in Port Canaveral Florida

Having worked for 3M company in electrical service work for 30+ years I have a lot of experience with a wide variety of Scotchlok® connectors and I strongly recommend them. Some of them are even intended for use where you may want to disconnect at some point in the future and for use where they could be exposed to moisture. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Reason I consider this I am gone a lot from my wife and camper. My wife will never touch any electrical stuff. Not wiring anyway. If something goes foul, she is out of power till I get home. I need a simple wife friendly way to bypass inverter

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I don't know if this fits the bill.  Our inverter has a receptacle on the outlet that I plug the shore wire into.  The inverter input has a plug to connect a shore power line to.  This way we can use the inverter or not.  Generally when on shore power I just bypass the inverter.  When we are without shore power (most of the time) I plug the 5er into the inverter and plug the inverter into the generator. Our setup also includes shore power access at the front or the rear of the 5er  with these plugs and receptacles but that is another story.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Anderson Connectors are meant for DC loads.  

The simplest way to accomplish what you want is similar to what RandyRetired described.  Wire a 50 amp pigtail with a mail 50 amp plug to the AC In on the inverter and wire a 50 amp pigtail with a female 50 amp receptacle to the AC Out of the inverter (about 1 foot of wire coming out of the inverter for each pigtail).  Then wire a 50 amp female receptacle to the wire providing AC In to the inverter and wire a 50 amp male plug to the wire going to the RV main power panel (Leave enough slack in these wires so they can move around a bit).  If the inverter ever fails, simply unplug the wires from the inverter pigtails and plug them together so shore/generator power can energize the main RV power panel.  In effect you have manually bypassed the inverter on the AC side.  This would only cost about $60 in parts (2 50 amp female cord ends and 2 50 amp male cord ends) and some time on your part to splice the cord ends into the system.

Make sure the female ends are on the sides that can be energized (Inverter output and shore power) and the male ends are on the non-energized ends (inverter input and power panel input) so you don't have the prongs on the male cord ends energized and laying out.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have to agree, multiple quality AC Plugs and Receptacles located in strategic places is a good SIMPLE EASY method for manually transferring shore and/or Inverter power. Then, if one has a need to plug or relocate DC Inverter and Battery Power frequently Anderson Connectors are an option. If there's no or seldom need to move or plug n play high current DC battery and Inverter connections (back to original question) I still prefer (less splices/connections) hard wiring.

Best wishes everyone fun discussion

John T  Dry camped at Jetty Park in Port Canaveral      

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Thank you. Sometimes simplicity escapes me. 

A friend of my father who held a number of valuable patents once told me that it takes a smarter person to develop a simple solution than to find a complicated one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI