Walmart rejects online purchases

hemsteadc

I'm in the Las Vegas area with a home address in New Mexico.  I've tried, several times, to make an online computer purchase from the Henderson Walmart, and 4 times it's been canceled due to "unusual activity."

American Express is not rejecting the purchase.  Chase is not rejecting it.  My cards are in good standing, and I buy online from Amazon all the time. Walmart is my only choice for this particular computer I want. 

I chatted with a Walmart associate and he  said WM's fraud software was rejecting it.  Of course he wouldn't get specific as to why.  He said he'd override and for me to try again in 30 minutes.  Did that.  No luck.

WTH?  Anybody with a clue as to what's going on?

I've had rejects from Best Buy and more recently an insurance company. The disappointment is you can't find out why. Both cases, I paid with another source. I used my wife's credit card at Best buy and sent a check to the Insurance co.

Never had a problem with Wal-Mart.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

1 hour ago, ms60ocb said:

I've had rejects from Best Buy and more recently an insurance company. The disappointment is you can't find out why

I opted to make a suitable purchase from BB.  No problem.  No, they won't tell you why.. as if anybody knew except the systems programmers, and you can't talk to them.  

During the height of the pandemic I attempted to do a curbside pickup of a few things at Walmart.  Rejected my credit card.    Turns out it didn't like the 77399 zip code.   Another company I was trying to register at for an online purchase told me to use the 77351 zip for Livingston.  Went through right a way.   There are all sorts of weird things programmed into each company's fraud detection system.   I always figure it is their loss of my business.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Rejected my credit card.    Turns out it didn't like the 77399 zip code.   Another company I was trying to register at for an online purchase told me to use the 77351 zip for Livingston.  Went through right a way.  

Good Point, I had that problem years ago and told I had a invalid address.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Another company I was trying to register at for an online purchase told me to use the 77351 zip for Livingston.  Went through right a way.   There are all sorts of weird things programmed into each company's fraud detection system.   

I tried an address change, no joy.  I don't know if Amex would even know if the purchase was attempted and that's what happened.  They couldn't tell me anything.  Anyway, I'm typing this on a brand new 17" ASUS chromebook and it's pretty sweet for under $300.

Hemp, congrats on your new 'Pooter! I hope you enjoy it!

I just had that happen too. But I did find out why. And I was not happy. My new Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) account I have because USAA did that to me when we moved here in 2019 four times trying to buy diesel. I made a travel advisory that we would be charging out of area beforehand too. They said they fixed it exach time and didn't too.

So last month I sent one of our Surface Go 2 devices in for warranty repair. I wanted to have them cross in transit so I got my new one right away. To do that they had to put a hold on for the entire amount in case I did not send in the old one which I am good with doing and paying if need be. Well NFCU declined it and Microsoft the next day emailed me asking if I wanted to do it the slow way and send mine in and wait until the refurbished one came back, I called NFCU and they said it was a security issue with Microsoft. It seems they get a lot of fraud from people trying to scam Microsoft. I asked them are they saying Microsoft is committing fraud and he said of course not. So I asked do you mean you are dinging my account because you have too many scammers that have nothing to do with me or Microsoft? He said unfortunately yes???????? 😠

So NFCU said they would fix i again and they declined the hold again! So I was determined and I got my wife's phone and we had Microsoft on one and NFCU on the other until the charge went through.

Rather than all that time and inconvenience for the financial institutions to reduce their losses which have nothing to do with me or my vendors I would think they could call me voice and ask if I intended to make that charge. That is THEIR job not mine. once OK but after calling and it supposedly being resolved? I am out looking for a new financial institution again. But I have to wait until all my direct deposits are completed before I change them again. Like USAA I am giving them one more chance to get it right after I call to resolve their goof directly and not do it again immediately.  

Banks are out because of the bail in laws. So I am looking locally now too. Some of the big military ones may have not grown too big for actual customer service like USAA did. Oh they are polite and apologize all over the place when they goof regularly. But see everyone does great when there is no problem. It is when things go wrong that a company's true colors and ability show. I don't need to kiss their butts because I do not need loans or their permission to spend my money. I just need a safe place to keep it and access it on my demand, not when they feel all comfy cozy and secure when I want access to it. I am now looking into new technologies and investments. Maybe all I need is a good credit card company. Not a full service bank or FCU that can't do security well enough for legit charges to go through. I don't care if they call me each time if their algorithms can't.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire