Need advice on Yosemite

Pull Dog

I've wanted to see Yosemite for years but we keep finding reasons to avoid it.  We have visited all the states in the Rocky Mountains area.    To those who are familiar with Yosemite we would appreciate some advice.    We like to base camp outside of major congested parks and just commute daily into the area.  As long as I'm within 50 miles of Yosemite we can make it work. 

What side of Yosemite should we stay on??     Since we are coming from the East I considered staying on that side and driving across the park.  However we plan on coming in late May and wonder if the roads across the park are cleared of winter snow by then.

What RV parks do you recommend around Yosemite either on the East or West side of the park?? 

We are in our 70's and in good health but hiking long distances uphill is not fun for my wife.   How much of the beautiful vistas can we see by car or by hiking less than two miles??

I've read that the waterfalls are more beautiful in May or early June.   How are the crowds in this time frame??   

Is there a daily reservation pass required this year for entry into the park??    We have the Golden Age Passport pass but wonder about the daily entry reservation now required in some National Parks. 

Any help you can offer is appreciated.   We are in the planning stage of this trip and need good advice!

Yosemite is a must, it is beautiful.  Tioga pass "East entrance" is closed in the winter and it depends on the snow pack to when they open it.  From the west you can go Hwy 120 and there are RV parks before getting to the park.  Coming from the south you can take Hwy 41 and theres a lot of RV parks along the way.  If you can walk 2 miles you will have more than enough to see.  I'm not sure if you have to have the daily pass this yr, but you can check the web site.  After visiting the valley take a ride up to Glacier Point and look down 3000' down to the valley floor. one of my favorites.  As I said its a must see and May is one of the best months to go, "before school is out" and the most water coming from the falls but there will always be crowds.  I would suggest making RV park reservation ASAP they fill up fast.

Edited by dennisvr

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

First, 50 miles of mountain driving isn't the same as flat land driving. You want to be as close as possible to Yosemite or take the bus (YARTS).

I suggest using the west side mainly because there are three roads into the park -- 41 (Wagon Rd), 140 (El Portal Rd, and 120 (Big Oak Flat Rd). However, we used to work down the road on 395 in Bishop and my wife took hiking tours on the east side through Tioga Pass many times.

When we visited Yosemite in May 2019 we came in from the west side and stayed in Indian Flat Campground on Highway 140 near El Portal. Down the road in Mariposa, there's also the Mariposa Fairgrounds, but it's a first-come-first-served campground at $45/night. However, we live in Mariposa and it's seldom full. Just call ahead.

I think we drove into Yosemite once or twice during our stay as it was crowded even in early May. We ended up taking an 8-hour bus tour for about $100. Well worth it.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

The west is best but it is safe to assume Tioga Pass won't be open before late June.

Also more bad news for 22, the park is doing major road construction and will be limiting visitor entry to prevent gridlock. All in all not a grat year to visit and of course my wife won a free week at Coarsegold at the Escapade. May not be usable this year and expires in August.

I'm thinking all this activity is the result of the major money infusion that the last administration gave the park system. Yosemite certainly needs the work but I wish it wasn't blocking access.

Edited by agesilaus

We've tried Yosemite 2x and after the last vowed never again.  We just can't deal with crowds like they have.  Parking for a car is difficult to find.  Trails are packed.  Construction is always ongoing.  If you've never been then definitely go but know you'll have crowds.  Staying at the Escapees park in Coarsegold is a great option for day-tripping.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel