Sailun Tire Recall

KodiakJack

Wouldn't you know it.  There are about 5 miles on the Sailun S637 tires I recently purchased and now they have been recalled.  Being Christmas eve I have yet to contact Sailun to find out details on how the free replacement tires will work but will let folks know when I do.

Meanwhile here is a link to the DOT NHTSA site with some additional information (there are other tires involves so you might want to look around) but clearly my new SAILUN/ST235/85R16 are on the list.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/tire/SAILUN/SAILUN/ST235%252F80R16/a__5103753#recalls

Later,

J

PS Merry Christmas all.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

59 minutes ago, KodiakJack said:

Wouldn't you know it.  There are about 5 miles on the Sailun S637 tires I recently purchased and now they have been recalled.  Being Christmas eve I have yet to contact Sailun to find out details on how the free replacement tires will work but will let folks know when I do.

Meanwhile here is a link to the DOT NHTSA site with some additional information (there are other tires involves so you might want to look around) but clearly my new SAILUN/ST235/85R16 are on the list.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/tire/SAILUN/SAILUN/ST235%252F80R16/a__5103753#recalls

Later,

J

PS Merry Christmas all.

The S637 tires aren't on the recall, if you look at the recall there are 4 listed by name, roadx, blacklion, blackhawk, and ironhead brand.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

24 minutes ago, D&J said:

The Sailun S637 tires are on the recall list.  If you click on "Tire Belt Separation" and then "3 Associated Documents" you will find the "Owner Notification Letter" with more details.  I tried to post it but it was too large for this site.

Later,

J

Edited by KodiakJack

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

2 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I received my letter today.  Just put those tires on and not one mile or even one revolution.  I guess I will deal with it after Christmas. 

What tires do you have?

This is what I got off the site  

Sailun Tire Americas, Inc. (Sailun) is recalling certain Sailun, RoadX, Blacklion, Blackhawk, and Ironhead brand tires, sizes ST235/80R16 and ST235/85R16 with DOT codes 2020 through 4120. Due to a manufacturing issue, the tires may experience a belt separation

Denny

Edited by D&J

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

29 minutes ago, D&J said:

What tires do you have?

This is what I got off the site  

Sailun Tire Americas, Inc. (Sailun) is recalling certain Sailun, RoadX, Blacklion, Blackhawk, and Ironhead brand tires, sizes ST235/80R16 and ST235/85R16 with DOT codes 2020 through 4120. Due to a manufacturing issue, the tires may experience a belt separation

Denny

I haven't looked to see which tires.  I received am email about a recall and we have tires  involved in the recall.   The email included a number to call.  I will follow up on Monday or Tuesday. I put the tires on a little over a month ago but we have decided to not go south this year so, no hurry.

Edited to add that I don't remember the manufacturer date but I remember it was fairly recent and not 2020.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

14 hours ago, D&J said:

The S637 tires aren't on the recall, if you look at the recall there are 4 listed by name, roadx, blacklion, blackhawk, and ironhead brand.

Actually, there are five listed, including Sailun.  The following is from the NHTSA link.  I added the boldface on Sailun

"Sailun Tire Americas, Inc. (Sailun) is recalling certain Sailun, RoadX, Blacklion, Blackhawk, and Ironhead brand tires, sizes ST235/80R16 and ST235/85R16 with DOT codes 2020 through 4120. Due to a manufacturing issue, the tires may experience a belt separation."

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 3 weeks later...

The confusion on the recall is because the NHTSA tire recall site is misleading.  The Sailun S637 is included in the recall, as are all Sailuns sized ST235/80R16 & ST235/85R16 manufactured withing the recall dates.

Here is the trouble with the NHTSA site--Careful examination of all Sailun recall documents published on the site shows: 

(1)    Every NHTSA mention of the “S637” designation affirmatively shows “0” applicable recalls. 

(2)    The “S637” designation is not mentioned anywhere in any NHTSA recall site documents, including recall text, all supporting documents, and related correspondence and notices published in the NHTSA tire recall site.

(3)    A search of either “Sailun S637” or “S637” results in a single line showing “0” recalls for the S637.  

This link will give you a number to call Sailun Tire Americas Customer Service.  Have your DOT # ready.  They answer the phone and are ready to help. contact Sailun customer service at 1-844-281-9696

Sailun says they will pay the costs related to shipping and tire installation.

• 2 weeks later...

I had upgraded the OEM tires on my fiver to 235/85's and, because of COVID, hadn't put 500 miles on them when I learned of the recall.  I called TBC (901-541-3619) and several other numbers for Sailun that I found on line.  The very next day 12/28/21 I received a call back from one of the nicest customer service people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Stacy told me that if I took the tires to a local Sailun authorized dealer they would replace them at no charge.  She also mentioned that not all Sailun dealers were participating and, oh, by the way, no one has any stock of the new tires.  She also gave me the option of purchasing the tires and being reimbursed.  Since the tires were available on walmart.com, I figured I'd take a chance. 

UPS delivered the tires to my door (2nd day air) and I decided to pull the tires myself rather than pull the RV up to the Walmart auto center where the recalled tires had been installed.  However, as soon as the walmart guys got a look at the tires - they are substantially heavier than standard car tires, they decided their tire machine was broken, blah, blah.  So I went up the road to Discount Tire.

Here's where it got sticky - I showed Discount Tire the original Walmart work order and told them I wanted the tires mounted, balanced and the same road hazard warrantee that Walmart had sold me for the recalled tires.  FWIW, the original mounting and balancing was $94 at Walmart.  The same service at Discount Tire was $391.  I know where I'll be buying tires in the future.

I got home and packaged up all the original and replacement tire and mounting receipts and sent them, along with photos of the date code on the original tires, to TBC.  Stacy first told me all was good, then wanted copies of the cash register receipts rather than the cc receipt, but fortunately I had everything.

A couple of days later, she emailed me and said that Sailun wouldn't pay for the road hazard policy.  I told her - nicely - that wasn't acceptable and got an email from her manager, Scott Davis, sdavis@tbccorp.com, saying that I was out the cost of the road hazard coverage.  I told him - slightly less nicely - that I expected the same coverage as existed prior to the recall.

A couple of days later, he emailed me and said that Sailun, "as a goodwill gesture," was going to cover the road hazard coverage and they would be mailing me a second check since the first check was already in the mail. 

Today, 1-24-22, I received the first check just 19 days after I had installed the new tires.  I'm still waiting for the second check, but approximately two weeks to mail out the reimbursement check isn't to bad.  Other than the little disagreement over the road hazard coverage, I'm pretty satisfied with Sailun tires. 

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk