Route from Salt Lake City to Medford Oregon

We double tow so I'm looking for a route that will get me as close to Medford as we can before we have to separate the toad. 

Options are -

1. 80 to Winnemucca then 95 north to 140 west.

2. 80 all the way to Sacramento and 5 north- looks like a long ways around

3. A route from Reno up 395 to 299 to 139 over to I-5.

Weather is a concern on any passes as well.  We're heading that direction Friday.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

We used to take 140 all the time but last time it was very rough and there is one grade that is a real nasty. Sacramento is a long way around. We've taken 395 and it's a good road and if the weather permits it's the way I would take, I'm sure this time of year it will be fine but check ahead. From Reno to Medford was a one day run for us.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

12 hours ago, D&J said:

We used to take 140 all the time but last time it was very rough and there is one grade that is a real nasty. Sacramento is a long way around. We've taken 395 and it's a good road and if the weather permits it's the way I would take, I'm sure this time of year it will be fine but check ahead. From Reno to Medford was a one day run for us.

Denny

Thanks!

We've never been to the northwest... and my job is sending me there now.....

Jim's Adventures

19 hours ago, D&J said:

We used to take 140

Why would anyone go south from SLC to pick up I-40, when they can pick up I-80 and head west right out of the driveway?   Please tell us that was a typo.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Why would anyone go south from SLC to pick up I-40, when they can pick up I-80 and head west right out of the driveway?   Please tell us that was a typo.

It's not I-40 it's highway 140 in Northern Nevada.

Denny

Edited by D&J

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

15 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

The OP is talking about SR-140 which heads west from US-95 north of Winnemucca, NV, through the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge and on into Oregon through Lakeview, Klamath Falls, and ends at Medford.

We've driven the road, but the OP may want to take a look to see what the Mountain Directory West has to say about it before deciding whether or not to drive it with their long rig.  

To the OP:  If you do decide to head this way, be sure to fill up with fuel in Winnemucca because the next fuel stop won't be until Lakeview, which is 211 miles from Winnemucca.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

7 hours ago, LindaH said:

The OP is talking about SR-140 which heads west from US-95 north of Winnemucca, NV, through the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge and on into Oregon through Lakeview, Klamath Falls, and ends at Medford.

We've driven the road, but the OP may want to take a look to see what the Mountain Directory West has to say about it before deciding whether or not to drive it with their long rig.  

To the OP:  If you do decide to head this way, be sure to fill up with fuel in Winnemucca because the next fuel stop won't be until Lakeview, which is 211 miles from Winnemucca.

Got fuel covered.  HDT with 250 gallons when full.  What's the chance of being stopped on SR-140 and having to have my wife follow for 4 hours?

23 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

SR-140 crossing Oregon.  We double tow, about 78' overall length.  

Jim's Adventures

If you want to take 140 the worst part is on very nasty grade that goes down the side of a cliff, it's been awhile and I can't remember how far along it is, if you are double towing in OR you will be able to get a long way before you see anybody that will care, in that part or Oregon there isn't much there but when you get close to Bend I would drop the double tow. Like I said before 140 was very rough last time I was on it but they may have changed now. We've taken it many times with both a slide in camper and a 5th wheel and it is the shortest route, we had relation in Medford that are gone now so we made may trips that way taking a lot if different routes. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Jim,

There is a section of SR-140 past Denio Junction a ways that is very tight and winding.  You will be in the oncoming lane making some of the turns with your rig and some of those turns will be blind.  I personally would not take my rig that way.  

We used to camp at a campground off 140 past Denio Junction on the way to the WCR.  The road is fine from 95 to the campground (I have done it multiple times with my rig double towing the RZR).  Not too far past the turn off we take, the road conditions change and get tight.  Mr. Cob (long nose Pete and 45’ toy hauler) would camp with us there and it would have been much faster for him to get to the campground by coming east on 140 from where he lives.  Because of the road conditions, he would instead come around to Winnemucca and then back up to 140 and go west to the campground turn off to get there.

Just some food for thought.

Chad

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg