Domicile Questions

2 hours ago, DavidCD said:

We've been traveling / full-timing for almost 5 years now and have been using the Escapees mail service as our home address.   It's coming up on time for us to renew out Texas drivers licenses and the DPS wants a variety of documents to prove identity, citizenship, and Texas residency.    Does anyone know if Escapees will send us a letter that we can use to show our mailing address is our primary residency address?

We used our voters registration card as one of the address card, along with a copy of our insurance on the motorhome. You could also use cell phone monthly statement (print online one) or DirectTV/Dish, etc.     Used passport for citizenship proof.  Don't make it overly complicated.  

Are you renewing by mail and not online because you have to do the certification for the Class B (A?) license?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

23 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Are you renewing by mail and not online because you have to do the certification for the Class B (A?) license?  

Hi BarbarOK - I received a letter from Tx DPS saying I had to renew my license at one of their offices because I did my last renewal online.   Apparently, you can't do consecutive renewals online.

But, since I posted my original message, I managed to get in the local DPS office and ask about the document requirements.  The guy at the desk said that since I was doing a renewal of an existing license all I needed to bring is a certified copy of my birth certificate in order to verify  US citizenship (also called 'Lawful Presence').  

So - as you were indicating, I was making this overly complicated.    Thanks for you feedback.

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Passports also work for establishing citizenship.  My mother never had a birth certificate, so she always kept her passport up to date.  

My dad was in the navy and I was born in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, so when I needed a birth certificate I had to send to the U.S. Secretary of State to get it. The document that has the seal on it it is fading so I also keep my passport up to date in hopes of never having to send for another birth certificate.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van