I Turned on My ACs & My Inverter Blew Up

Zulu

. . . or so someone claims on another RV site.

I don't doubt the guy, but how could this have happened?

The guy has a dual-output Xantrex 485. He said he had shore power and was running his ACs. Then he turned on his inverter and all hell broke loose.

The only thing I can think of is (1) one or both of the 485's dual outputs was mis-wired so that one or both outputs back fed AC or (2) the inverter had a catastrophic failure. Otherwise, this should not have happened, right?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Mis-wiring. Some fool wired the inverter to the receptacle for the air conditioner. However, that connection should have caused the Inverter main fuse/breaker to blow the moment he turned it on.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hello guys since the largest inverter is 3000 watts when the second unit powered up it would dInfinity  overload the circuit since starting current combined with the unit running would exceed 3000 watts. Anyhow it should have only opened the breakers on the inverter they will trip before damaging the inverter

mike