Apple is bringing client-side scanning mainstream and the genie is out of the bottle

RV_

These precedents could be dangerous for all of us if other companies start scanning all our content on our computers and phones, or if Apple does not stick to its original intent and privacy. It is concerning and if not for some, it is worth understanding what the debate is about.

Excerpt:

"Perhaps Apple's CSAM system will work exactly as intended, but it will be the systems that follow in its wake that will be most egregious.

Canada goes a step further in a similar draft. In its iteration, it is demanding proactive monitoring of content relating to CSAM, terrorism, violence-inciting, hate speech, and non-consensual image sharing, and creating a new Digital Safety Commissioner role to assess whether any AI used is sufficient, according to University of Ottawa law professor Dr Michael Geist.

Should it become law, online communication services in Canada would also have 24 hours to make a decision on a piece of harmful content.

How that potential law interacts with Apple's decision to set a threshold of 30 CSAM images before injecting humans into the process and inspecting the content's metadata will be something to watch in future.

While the Canadian proposal has been deemed to be a collection of the worst ideas from around the world, the likes of India, the United Kingdom, and Germany are likewise pushing forward with internet regulation.

Apple has said its CSAM system will start only with the United States when iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, and macOS Monterey arrive, meaning one might be able to argue Apple will be able to avoid the regulations of other western nations. 

But not so fast. Apple privacy chief Erik Neuenschwander said in a recent interview that the hash list used to identify CSAM will be built into the operating system.

"We have one global operating system," he said.  

Even if Apple has consistently stated its policies aim to prevent overreach, use by corrupt regimes, or false suspensions, it's not clear how Apple will answer one very important question: What happens when Apple is issued with a court order that goes against its policies?

There's no doubt non-US legislators will take a dim view if the sort of systems they want are available on Apple devices.  

"We follow the law wherever we do business," Tim Cook said in 2017 after the company pulled VPN apps from its Chinese app store.  

Following the law: Citizen Lab finds Apple's China censorship process bleeds into Hong Kong and Taiwan

While there are plenty of worthy concerns and questions about Apple's system itself, the consequences of the existence of such a system is cause for greater concern.

For years, Apple has pushed back on demands from US authorities to help unlock phones of people alleged to be involved in mass shooting. When responding to FBI demands in 2016, Cook wrote a letter to customers that rebutted suggestions that unlocking one phone would be the end of the matter, and said the technique could be used over and over again.

"In the wrong hands, this software -- which does not exist today -- would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone's physical possession," the CEO said.

The key to Apple's argument was the words between the emdashes, and now in August 2021, while that exact capability does not exist, an on-device capability is set to appear on all its devices, and that's a good enough reason for concern.

"Apple has unilaterally chosen to enrol its users in a global experiment of mass surveillance, seemingly underestimated the potential costs this could have on individuals who are not involved in the manufacture or storage of CSAM content, and externalised any such costs onto a user base of one billion-plus individuals around the world," Citizen Lab senior research associate Christopher Parson wrote."

Source with much more and related links:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-is-bringing-client-side-scanning-mainstream-and-the-genie-is-out-of-the-bottle/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}&eh={%24CF_emailHash}

I hope that helps.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I am not a tin foil hat wearing kind if guy but i am aware that there are very few places in North America one can go that you are not tracked, watched or listened to!  Siri enabled phone? She hears every word you say!  Google assist? Every word you say is stored at Googles massive storage facility!  Going to the mall?  Many use facial recognition!

Big Brother IS here, and here to stay!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

“While the Canadian proposal has been deemed to be a collection of the worst ideasfrom around the world, the likes of India, the United Kingdom, and Germany are likewise pushing forward with internet regulation.”

That’s why I enjoy visiting the USA where my mobile device is not monitored.  

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

“While the Canadian proposal has been deemed to be a collection of the worst ideasfrom around the world, the likes of India, the United Kingdom, and Germany are likewise pushing forward with internet regulation.”

Good one noteven

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Or so you think!