New "full timer"

T.J.

Hi all, I plan to be a full time workamper when I retire. In the meantime I find myself with 4 months of full time rv "practice". I have left my previous residence and am awaiting my apt. that will be ready in Aug. I will be in Nomad mode until then. 

That being said, I need a domicile for ODL and vehicle registration through the DMV. I'd rather not use a standard Texas or Florida domicile. I would rather keep my address in Oregon since I will be here for the full 4 months. I understand the income tax vs other states. I just want to keep it as simple as possible. How would I go about finding a permanent domicile address that qualifies for the DMV? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I've already sent an E-mail to "Escapees" and they referred me to y'all.

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, T.J. said:

I would rather keep my address in Oregon since I will be here for the full 4 months.

If I understand correctly, you have sold or otherwise moved out of the previous home and so have no claim to an address there, but will live in your RV until some date in August, with both the previous and the new residences in the state of Oregon? If that is correct, then your domicile has not changed, nor will it. There could be some question of the legality of not changing the address on your vehicle registrations or driver's license, but domicile is much more than those items, so the only real issue is that of your license, registration, and insurance. Is it safe to assume that you are living in your RV with it in a local RV park? If so I would use that for a mailing address. If neither your driver's license, vehicle registration, or insurance come up for renewal in this period, you probably would have no difficulties, but there is a chance of some problem in the event that you were to have an accident. I think that I would start by contacting your insurance agent and ask for their guidance, as they will want to keep you as a customer and may know what the answer is. If that doesn't resolve the question, visit your local DMV and ask them what is the right thing to do. It could be that the continuous traveler is the right way to go, but I would ask first. 

Continuous Traveler
If you travel continuously, you may use "continuous traveler" as your residence address. If you use "continuous traveler" as your residence address, you must also provide a mailing address and present proof that you are a resident of or domiciled in Oregon.

You must complete a Certification of Oregon Residency or Domicile (Form 735-7182) and present acceptable proof. Acceptable proof of residency and/or domicile is noted on the back of the form.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Looks like I'll have to look into "continuous traveler". I've asked relatives and friends, and they all have reasons why they don't want to. I don't plan on living at a park as I am not in an "acceptable" RV. So, I will be fully Nomadic, and camping on the weekends.

Thanks for the info,

T.J.

1 hour ago, T.J. said:

I don't plan on living at a park as I am not in an "acceptable" RV. So, I will be fully Nomadic, and camping on the weekends.

Do you have a plan for what to do about mail? You may want to rent a box at the post office or possibly at the UPS store. If it will only be for a few months, you could put in a temporary forwarding order and then do another permanent change of address once you get the new apartment. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI