Could this be the new Smart?

f

Found this and it's just what I have been looking for. I recently purchased a three wheel pedal powered recumbent trike and really like the stability when it's stopped waiting on traffic to pass so I can get on with my trip. I have inquired about adding an electric motor to assist me with the hills and it's fairly reasonable to add, but the instability of the three wheels when moving even under pedal power make me think it's not a good idea. There is a reason they don't make the Honda three wheelers anymore. 

I have not invested in this product and do not plan to, just sharing for those who have not yet seen. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Wonder how much effort is required to pedal. Like older person with bad knees.

Ours are really easy to pedal and we know that many in the online groups are older, with multiple health problems. The stability allows you to go at your own comfort level. I'm actually quite interested in something like this to compliment what we already have, but I'd likely add power assist. Jay

On 1/9/2021 at 9:27 AM, GlennWest said:

Wonder how much effort is required to pedal. Like older person with bad knees.

What I liked about it is the fact that it's all by wire. I think I heard in the video that the pedals are attached to a generator and you can choose how much resistance you want which will affect how far you will go on a battery charge. There are also supposed to be regenerative braking functions which I think are important. Why waste the energy used to climb the hill in just generating heat, when we really don't need any heat. Turn it back to an electrical charge and less heat. 

I believe the link I shared was for a four wheel, but there are three wheeled one's too. My comment about adding an electric motor to my three wheel recumbent, may have caused the confusion. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 1 month later...

the motor trike is no longer sold cause of people getting there legs ripped apart by a rear tire. mostly drunks, or people doing stupid. a foot would fall off a peg and get run over while you are still sitting on it. the quads have a floor plate so the problem never showed its self there.

and as to a pedal powered trike. the more "junk" on it the harder to pedal. i have known a couple people with recumbent bikes, they loved them. (one guy road in the mts on his) the body styles allow you to ride in colder weather. but start getting heavy fast.

Edited by packnrat