Highway 9 - Cincinnati to Interstate 64 Grayson KY

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Anyone drive this route?  Big rig friendly? 

Alternative is to drive on south and run the interstate, but if this is a decent route it will keep us on a more scenic ride.

Edited by Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Easy ride.  You should have no problems except for the usual Cincy traffic and the oftentimes congestion around Lexington.  There's a decent climb going south on I-75 on the KY side just as you cross the Ohio River coming out of the city.  If you've got power, don't get stuck in the far right climbing lane or you might get trapped by faster traffic.

I'm sure @rickeieiowill be able to offer another perspective. 

Edited by spindrift

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

6 minutes ago, spindrift said:

Easy ride.   There's a decent climb going south on I-75 on the KY side just as you cross the Ohio River coming out of the city.  If you've got power, don't get stuck in the far right climbing lane or you might get trapped by faster traffic.

I'm sure @rickeieiowill be able to offer another perspective. 

Thanks,

The old M-11 we have is finicky... if we're on a long climb and have 55+mph momentum rolling, we can usually run up without issue....

BUT.....

If I have to slow and drop out of 10th gear and try to accelerate back to speed..... I'm screwed and in the slow lane with the rest to the top.  Kinda like if the hamster wheel is spun up, don't slow it.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Just now, spindrift said:

Run, don't walk, to your nearest Cummins dealer and have them turn up that engine.  The M-11 is a decent hunk of iron.

Up as far as it can without adding swapping injectors.  400/1425 is what the last Cummins dealer said it was at.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Might want to look at this post on Fodor’s:  route 9 kentucky - Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Wikipedia says this about Route9: Kentucky Route 9 - Wikipedia

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Rt. 9 is my back yard.  Four lane, easy grades.  What way are you coming into Cincinnati?  You'll likely not even be travelling that grade on I-75 spindrift mentioned.  I haven't gone up it in 25 years.

EDIT:  Rt. 9 is 4 lanes to just east of Maysville, KY, then narrows to 2 lanes which is still very good road.  Running Rt. 9 won't save you a lot of time or miles, but is a more scenic drive.  I would go that way.

When are you passing through?  If we're around, you're welcome to overnight at our shop.  Water and electric, dump too if you have a macerator.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Rt. 9 is my back yard.  Four lane, easy grades.  What way are you coming into Cincinnati?  You'll likely not even be travelling that grade on I-75 spindrift mentioned.  I haven't gone up it in 25 years.

EDIT:  Rt. 9 is 4 lanes to just east of Maysville, KY, then narrows to 2 lanes which is still very good road.  Running Rt. 9 won't save you a lot of time or miles, but is a more scenic drive.  I would go that way.

When are you passing through?  If we're around, you're welcome to overnight at our shop.  Water and electric, dump too if you have a macerator.

We'll come into Cincinnati on I-74 from the north.  Looks like we'll run around the south side on 275, and pick up 9 at Wilder.

Where are you located on Rt 9?  I'm leaving Northern Indiana Saturday morning by 8, and will run interstate all the way to Cincinnati.  We need to be south of Greensboro NC Sunday by 2-3ish, want to be parked by dark.

PM me if you want, or 252-327-zero five three one 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'm actually in Indiana, but frequently explore the twisty roads of Ky. on my motorbike. My shop is 1/2 mile from exit 21 , Kilby Rd., on I-275.  I live 2 mles off Indiana 1 just north of Lawrenceburg.  By taking Rt. 1 at the St. Leon exit, you shave about 14 miles off to get to the only Indiana exit on I-275.  Signs say tight and twisty, trucks beware, blah, blah.....  Some locals didn't like the truck traffic so got the state to put up signs.  We run it all the time, and I used to take 18' wide farm equipment through there.

I'll call you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...