COBRA health insurance and changing domicile question

I am retiring soon and will be able to keep my health insurance through my company (it’s a nationwide plan). I currently live in Pennsylvania. I plan on purchasing a rv and going full-time in the spring.

I’m thinking about setting up my domicile in South Dakota. Does anyone know if this will create an issue with my health insurance? Or does anyone know where I can further research this? My insurance company rep hasn’t been helpful since they aren’t familiar with this situation.

Thank you for your help.

Libreader,

I think you will need to find a way to determine the details of your insurance plan.  You should have access to documentation from the insurance plan that you could read yourself, or find someone else familiar with insurance that you trust to interpret for you.  

In my case, the insurance that I kept when I retired in NY has global coverage.  However, the reimbursement rates for "out of network" services are low.  My plan publishes an online directory to locate in network providers.  I find plenty of providers in areas where New Yorkers retire to, like AZ and the entire east coast. But in other places like OH, and UT there were no providers anywhere near me when I needed them.  

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Welcome to the Escapee forums!  

Jim is correct as only your insurance plan plays any part in that issue. Since this is an employer paid plan it may be unique to your employer as well. Some insurance requires you to reside in the state of issue, while others do not. If your employer has employees located in many different states, there is a good chance that you can change states of domicile, but it is not uncommon for people to lose coverage from an employer paid plan if they change states of domicile. There are many other issues to be considered before you choose a state for domicile and I strongly suggest that you read "The Issue of Domicile" on the Escapee site. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are two issues here, one is the issue of what State the policy was written in and the other issue is what State the claim was made in. Your employer policy may cover you for medical services in all States as you travel but if you change your Domicle to another State like SD the insurance company must be licensed in SD as well as the agent selling the policy. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

14 minutes ago, Zulu said:

You can do that after 18 months when your COBRA runs out.

He may be one of those whose employer continues to supply health insurance to early retirees as a benefit and not COBRA. I had that when I retired at 57 and continue to have funding for my Medicare supplement today. In such cases he could need to keep his current domicile indefinately. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI