heat for the holding tanks

packnrat

well nufe said, just wondering if a 12 volt heating pad really works to keep the holding tanks from freezing up?

my rv is not winter rated. but a little work can be workable. for now just looking into heating up the tanks (fresh is inside), and then some kind of layer to try and keep the under belly a bit warmer.

no not looking at spending a winter in Alaska. just more to not have problems for when i go someplace were the night temps will get below freezing.

I don't know about adding tank heating pads after the fact but I can say that they work on our trailer. You can buy the corrugated plastic that is used to seal the underbelly at most RV parts places. I took out the flimsy "insulation" that was in the underbelly and got the Reflectix insulation at Lowes and installed that instead. Seems work much better. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

any insulation i would add would be supported in at least two ways. and must be water resistant, then the under belly protection.

Reflectix is basically a combination of bubble wrap and aluminum foil so water resistance should not be a problem for it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Reflectix also needs an air gap between it and the surface you're trying to insulate, otherwise the actual R value will be much less than that, prominently displayed in adds.  Without an air gap, the reflecting foil does nothing - it's the same as bubble wrap.

From many years ago, I also recall someone whose 12v heading pads melted the bottom of his tank, because it was empty.

So enabling your self to camp in colder weather is doable, with some caveats.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

14 hours ago, DanZemke said:

Reflectix also needs an air gap between it and the surface you're trying to insulate, otherwise the actual R value will be much less than that, prominently displayed in adds.  I also recall someone whose 12v heading pads melted the bottom of his tank, because it was empty

True, Reflectix needs an air gap. When I chose it I figured that putting it where I did was similar to putting it across the bottoms of floor joists over a crawl space which according to their literature is R-16. Now I doubt I am getting that but I figure that whatever I am getting plus the radiant barrier aspect is about as good as I am going to get short of paying someone to spray foam insulation. The foam would be a nightmare to deal with should repair be needed.

I was warned when we bought our RV to never turn on the pads on empty tanks. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg