It’s snowing, the power is out, we are camped in our driveway.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

First snow of the season and as usual the power is out probably someone slid off the road and took out a power pole, happens every year.

So I fired up the furnace in the Toy Hauler, turned on the lights and we are cooking dinner, the rest of the neighborhood is DARK.  Sure is nice to have a backup home.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dude where do you camp with your super heavy duty tow truck and TH.  Does the RV campgrounds and public campgrounds have the space and road carrying weight for your rig.  I have camped in many private and public campgrounds and RV parks and never seen a rig like yours in any of them.  Just curious. Cheers

Edited by NamMedevac 70

8 minutes ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

Dude where do you camp with your super heavy duty tow truck and TH.  Does the RV campgrounds and public campgrounds have the space and road carrying weight for your rig.  I have camped in many private and public campgrounds and RV parks and never seen a rig like yours in any of them.  Just curious. Cheers

Howdy NamMedevac 70,

First off thanks for your service, I had the misfortune of being medevaced twice during my time there, June 67 - February 69.

Our yard, is 90 feet by 130, my rig is 72 feet long, I built a parking area along side of the driveway that is where the rig is now parked, I have a very understanding neighbor with whom I share the driveway he lives behind our home, about 10 feet of the rear of the toy hauler hangs over the property line into his yard.

As to camp grounds, the only thing I can't use are campsites in the older State Parks or older RV campgrounds who don't have long enough spaces, I really haven't had a problem finding a place I'll fit into, I do a LOT of boondocking so its easy to find a site.

As to weight, the truck with Smart Car, on the deck is around 22,000 pounds, less then MANY of the big motor homes, the toy hauler depending on what toys are in the box goes anywhere from 19,000 to 22,000 pounds again about the same as the large car hauler trailers towed behind big motor homes so weight has not been a problem.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Having our RV during the summer PSPS (Public Safety Power Shutoff) events where California regions decide to turn power off due to fire danger is very handy.  Nothing like being without power at the house for multiple days in a row, but still living like we have power in the RV.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Enjoy Chad!  Glad you and yours are warmer and more comfy than the rest of the neighborhood!  We earned our power outage stripes when a snowstorm hit Fort Collins, CO.  It dumped a foot of snow and knocked out the power in the campground we were in for a day and a half.  We shoveled off the solar panels once the snow stopped and were good to go, w/o running the genny!

Snowstorm Pics

BTW, we bought 6 BattleBorns and installed them yesterday

Battle Born Batteries Installed

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

1 hour ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

Thanks for update Mr. Cobb and glad you returned to the world (USA) in one piece I hope.

Here are a few photos of my Nam medevac Dustoff duties to show I am not a faker.

purple-heart-color-certificate-cropped.jpg

Extra large photo WO Bill Perkins in 498th UH=1H dustoff seat Vietnam 1970.jpg

Howdy NamMedevac 70,  Will,

To this day the whap whap whap of a Huey sends chill up my spine, good when it was Gun Ships lending support, sadness when it was a Dust Off.  Funny thing about my Dust Off experience, I say I was Dusted Off twice which is true but it happened because of one wounding.  The Dust Off ship landed, we were loaded on board, we took off and then got shot down, "Auto Rotation" and the landing when the skids flatten out and the ship bounces a few times as that is repeated is NOT something I ever want to go through again.  Those of us who could formed a perimeter about a hundred meters from the downed craft and awaited the next Chopper, oh yeah just another day in the Nam.  Should our trails ever cross I would enjoy tossing a few cold ones back with you.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Is the power back on yet Dave? It got cold in Texas last night. It was 51 this morning when I got up and windy.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

3 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Is the power back on yet Dave? It got cold in Texas last night. It was 51 this morning when I got up and windy.

Brad

Howdy Brad,

It was a short lived event as is usual for this part of the country, this is the first time in three years we have had snow in my neighborhood, but I can look out my window and see snow year round in the mountains.  Right where we live is what's know as a weather anomaly, we get 89 inches of precipitation a year, go 10 miles west, north or south and the annual rate is 36 inches, go east up the Robe Valley, which we sit at the mouth of, the further east you go the higher the precipitation up to 160 inches per year.

This was a downed tree that caused the power outage, when we do get snow it's wet and HEAVY snapping trees, collapsing old roofs or tarp type car shelters is very common.  The power was back on in a few hours each year they put more and more of the communication and power distribution under ground to protect it from falling trees and idiot drivers who so rarely drive on snow they aren't safe to themselves and especially others. 

Go about 20 miles west from our home and your on I-5, most folks out here have some type of all wheel drive vehicle, why I don't know but it seems you can't buy a mini van nowadays that doesn't have it, anyway just because these idiots can get moving they think they can drive like its dry pavement; when we do get a snow storm its usually bad and the sides of the roads and ditches are stuffed with cars that have run off the road when it turns or when they try to stop before rear ending the car in front of them. 

If you want to waste your life laughing go to youtube, and type in something like "seattle drivers in the snow", and make sure your stocked up on popcorn and beer as you will be truly entertained for many hours if not days.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg