add distilled water to coolant?

My coolant level is about 2 inches lower than the cold level,  do I have to buy and add coolant even though I am not driving the RV right now ?  ( its hooked up at an RV park ) Can I just add distilled water?

I will eventually add coolant before I drive it in the future of     course but my question is regarding the current situation 

I appreciate any ideas and suggestions … 

Gas or disesel?  Do you crack open the radiator, or view level through a sight glass (small round glass in side of an expansion tank?    

It would help if you put a signature line with some info on the type of rig you have.  You'll note that a lot of us have such info available.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

any cooling system will love distilled water. not needed in a gaser motor, a requirement in a diesel. in my motorcycles that's all i run. and something called water wet-er. as to the s&b water. i will not use it in any motor, not even to flush with. as it is very hard water. aka lots of dissolved solids.

9 hours ago, Sir Traveller said:

My coolant level is about 2 inches lower than the cold level,  do I have to buy and add coolant even though I am not driving the RV right now ?  

You really don't have much to be concerned about with the level now if you do not start the engine but, do not add any water as it will then affect the proper mix ratio. What you should do is to buy a gallon of premixed coolant to use and if you know the brand that is in your radiator, use the same one to add, but if not just the same type. Premixed coolants are readily available at any auto parts store or at Walmart, Target, or a host of other places in their automotive department. The partially used container of premixed coolant will not be harmed by closing it up and storing it. I have always kept some coolant in my vehicles for the occasional adding that may be needed. With your Ford V-10 the reservoir is ample enough that you won't have any need to do anything immediately, but I would pick up some of the premixed coolant at your next opportunity. The Ford chassis that we had did require the addition of a little bit of coolant occasionally but it took me several years to use up an entire gallon of premix. If you should need to add very much coolant or do it frequently, then you need to learn where that coolant is going.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dear Sir, if you only need to top off a small amount, I would use distilled instead of ordinary tap water. A cheap anti freeze tester is so easy to use if there's any doubt about your having the proper mixture and adequate protection.

However, in the event you need to add a lot, after finding the cause of any excess use, I recommend the factory spec coolant to match your engine (often certain colors such as Yellow/Gold for example in my Ford E 450 Super Duty V 10).

More Information for MOTORCRAFT VC7DILB (rockauto.com) 

I prefer purchase a 50 50 Pre Mix so you 1) Don't have to worry about the Afz/Water concentration  and 2) In the event you do need to top off a bit you again have the correct concentration not having to worry with water etc.

When I service and change my cooling system, I thoroughly flush n drain n re flush n drain (using flushing/cleaning agents if necessary),,, add the correct type of 50 50 pre mix,,,, and (maybe your choice) top off with some so called "super cool' or "wetting agents" and (maybe your choice) some anti rust formula.

Sooooooooo sure Distilled versus tap water for small amount of top off,,,,,,,,The factory approved correct color 50 50 Pre Mix for large amounts or re fill.

John T  Live dry camped in Lake Panasoffkee Florida, headed to dry camp at Sumter Oaks SKP in Bushnell.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 9:42 PM, Barbaraok said:

Gas or disesel?  Do you crack open the radiator, or view level through a sight glass (small round glass in side of an expansion tank?    

It would help if you put a signature line with some info on the type of rig you have.  You'll note that a lot of us have such info available.  

Gas... it is low on the recovery tank not the radiator ... I haven't driven the RV much in the last couple pf years, and it was in storage for 8 months from March till November, it might have been low since before but I just noticed 

On 12/15/2020 at 5:27 AM, Kirk W said:

You really don't have much to be concerned about with the level now if you do not start the engine but, do not add any water as it will then affect the proper mix ratio. What you should do is to buy a gallon of premixed coolant to use and if you know the brand that is in your radiator, use the same one to add, but if not just the same type. Premixed coolants are readily available at any auto parts store or at Walmart, Target, or a host of other places in their automotive department. The partially used container of premixed coolant will not be harmed by closing it up and storing it. I have always kept some coolant in my vehicles for the occasional adding that may be needed. With your Ford V-10 the reservoir is ample enough that you won't have any need to do anything immediately, but I would pick up some of the premixed coolant at your next opportunity. The Ford chassis that we had did require the addition of a little bit of coolant occasionally but it took me several years to use up an entire gallon of premix. If you should need to add very much coolant or do it frequently, then you need to learn where that coolant is going.

thank you very much, I am not driving it for now so I wont add anything, but I will look for the matching coolant which appears to be green 

On 12/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, oldjohnt said:

Dear Sir, if you only need to top off a small amount, I would use distilled instead of ordinary tap water. A cheap anti freeze tester is so easy to use if there's any doubt about your having the proper mixture and adequate protection.

However, in the event you need to add a lot, after finding the cause of any excess use, I recommend the factory spec coolant to match your engine (often certain colors such as Yellow/Gold for example in my Ford E 450 Super Duty V 10).

More Information for MOTORCRAFT VC7DILB (rockauto.com) 

I prefer purchase a 50 50 Pre Mix so you 1) Don't have to worry about the Afz/Water concentration  and 2) In the event you do need to top off a bit you again have the correct concentration not having to worry with water etc.

When I service and change my cooling system, I thoroughly flush n drain n re flush n drain (using flushing/cleaning agents if necessary),,, add the correct type of 50 50 pre mix,,,, and (maybe your choice) top off with some so called "super cool' or "wetting agents" and (maybe your choice) some anti rust formula.

Sooooooooo sure Distilled versus tap water for small amount of top off,,,,,,,,The factory approved correct color 50 50 Pre Mix for large amounts or re fill.

John T  Live dry camped in Lake Panasoffkee Florida, headed to dry camp at Sumter Oaks SKP in Bushnell.

thank you very much for all the info

the coolant appear to be green through the recovery tank , I will try to find it in the link you provided 

i double what twotoes said.

after two years usage time to do a flush and fill. longer if just sitting. but sounds like it is time. motors need to be used, if not things will go bad.

and if your going to let it sit. might do a 75% antifreeze/25% distilled water. mix and a additive.

flush out the system, install new and run till warm. also clean out the heater core.

but first check for a leak. fix that first.

34 minutes ago, packnrat said:

and if your going to let it sit. might do a 75% antifreeze/25% distilled water. mix and a additive.

A 50%/50% mix provides the best freezing protection.   If you go with 75% of antifreeze it becomes the solvent and you won’t have the best mix.  It has to do with the number of particles in the solution, called the colligative properties of solution.  In addition to lower freezing temperature, it also raises boiling point of a solution.  That what you put salt into a kettle of water to boil the pasta.    😎

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834