Cognative impairment

Riverrune

Welcome to the Escapee forums! While I don't, we know a couple who did, but have now stopped as the partner suffers dementia and it has continued to a point where travel is no longer practical. I did deal with that with my mother but didn't keep her in our RV more than a few times for 1 or 2 nights. A great deal would depend upon just how bad the person's impairment is. As long as it is mild you should be fine but I would take precautions to be sure that you know if your partner should get up at night of leave the area where you are. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I met a woman with dementia in a campground. She was looking for her husband. He was doing laundry expecting her to stay home and wait for him. Remembering how hard it was for my mother-in-law when her husband was in the hospital I would not expect a spouse with dementia to be able to not go looking for the missing one. Expect to have to take him/her everywhere with you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You might want to accompany your partner to the next appointment with a physician and get an expert, medical opinion on how serious the illness is and the best prognosis at this time for future travel and any possible limitations.  If your concern is the partner wandering off, there are location devices that can help in their being tracked and found before any serious repercussions.  Best of luck.

Are you traveling extensively now?  Or planning to do so?  If planning, since we don't know how bad it is we're really not capable of giving you advice.  That should come from you doctor.  If beginning stage try going close to home for a short time and see how it goes but that's not an absolute  gauge for when traveling full-time.  They do best with a constant in their lives so moving around could be very confusing.  You definitely couldn't leave them alone.... ever.  Talk to your doctor and go from there.  It's difficult.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel