Installing Hopper 3 in RV

We are having the DPH42 switch installed on the roof of our RV to make the Trav'ler compatible with the Hopper 3.

When we go to pick up the RV, I will take the Hopper 3 with us to make sure everything works.

The information sheet from Dish says: "After installation [of the DPH42 switch] and Trav'ler acquires the signal, open "Settings" and run "Test Installation."

So I'm sitting here at home and decided I'd see exactly where the "Test Installation" was in the Settings so that I didn’t waste time looking for it at the dealers.  But I can't find it anywhere in the Settings.  Where, exactly, is the "Test Installation" located? 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 4 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 3:41 PM, LindaH said:

We are having the DPH42 switch installed on the roof of our RV to make the Trav'ler compatible with the Hopper 3.

When we go to pick up the RV, I will take the Hopper 3 with us to make sure everything works.

The information sheet from Dish says: "After installation [of the DPH42 switch] and Trav'ler acquires the signal, open "Settings" and run "Test Installation."

So I'm sitting here at home and decided I'd see exactly where the "Test Installation" was in the Settings so that I didn’t waste time looking for it at the dealers.  But I can't find it anywhere in the Settings.  Where, exactly, is the "Test Installation" located? 

Quick question:  Is it necessary to mount that switch on the roof, or can it be placed inside the motorhome?

On 10/18/2020 at 7:34 PM, LindaH said:

Thank you, Zulu, found it!  They sure don't make it easy to find!

Menu button twice, then '3', '5' should work as well... At least it does on my Hopper 2's.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, USMCRet said:

Quick question:  Is it necessary to mount that switch on the roof, or can it be placed inside the motorhome?

It's preferable to mount a DPH42 switch inside your RV. Less environmental (sun, water) worries.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

22 hours ago, Zulu said:

It's preferable to mount a DPH42 switch inside your RV. Less environmental (sun, water) worries.

If you can route all three cables from traveler to inside to the switch then yes inside for sure. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

On 3/14/2021 at 3:02 PM, USMCRet said:

Read bullet 16 of the installation manual: https://manuals.solidsignal.com/DPH42_Installation.pdf

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just now, Ray,IN said:

Read bullet 16 of the installation manual safety instructions: https://manuals.solidsignal.com/DPH42_Installation.pdf

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Read bullet 16 of the installation manual: https://manuals.solidsignal.com/DPH42_Installation.pdf

As far as inside or outside goes, note that Figures 1 and 2 in the manual show outside installations of the DPH42. The power inserter of course, should definitely be inside...

Dutch

54 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

As far as inside or outside goes, note that Figures 1 and 2 in the manual show outside installations of the DPH42. The power inserter of course, should definitely be inside...

We have our DPH42 on the roof.  It's my understanding that it creates quite a bit of heat, so if installed inside, it needs to be someplace with good ventilation (we had absolutely no place inside our rig to install the switch, so it had to go on the roof...as it is, the cabinet where the receiver and Power Inserter reside are so crowded we have absolutely no room for anything else).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

We have our DPH42 on the roof.  It's my understanding that it creates quite a bit of heat, so if installed inside, it needs to be someplace with good ventilation (we had absolutely no place inside our rig to install the switch, so it had to go on the roof...as it is, the cabinet where the receiver and Power Inserter reside are so crowded we have absolutely no room for anything else).

Ours is also on the roof but I helped to protect it from the elements by putting it in a plastic electrical box with vent holes drilled in the sides to allow the heat and any moisture to escape. Has done well for the last year and a half. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I'll just add that the DPH42 is in the same style housing as the Solo and Duo Nodes and other switches. The Duo Node at our cottage was installed at the Dish with no protection except drip loops in 2014 and has worked well regardless of the weather. The Solo Node attached to the LNB arm on our portable dish has been in service since 2010 in regular use as well, and is also still working perfectly.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch