Volvo questions

Nwcid

I am just beginning my search for an HDT and still trying to learn a lot.  

Initially I will be continuing to use my 38' Fuzion Toy hauler, but at some point we will be getting a different RV and I am leaning toward a home build out of a semi trailer. 

I will likely be staying doubled because of this.  With the current RV I will likely build a deck for cross loading my RZR.  It is also likely that I will add a 10kw or 12.5kw generator to the truck along with additional water/waste tank.  

Of course we don't buy trucks based on looks, but is is a factor.  While I would love to have a VNL 780 I do not know that we need that much sleeper height which has lead me to look at the VNL 730.  The 730 seems to come in 2 versions, one with a "flat" roof and one with an "sloped" roof.  Can anyone tell me what the height difference is between these 3 versions, or a resource where I can find it?  Obviously while hooked up the height does not matter, but if we need to "run to town" I feel like the lower roof would be better.  Also for RV use would there be a noticeable difference in fuel milage if I were to get a larger trailer?

Second question is about gearing.  Is there a noticeable difference in fuel milage between 2.xx and 3.xx gearing?  For example I saw one I liked with 2.47 gearing.  It would really be nice to get 10mpg average.  Also if I was go to go a bigger trailer, even one that would weigh less then 1/2 of a commercially loaded one, would the gearing be a big deal?

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

Lots of Questions.  The wife and I sleep in the truck when on the road, easier to keep cool/warm, and way quieter than the Trailer.

This may make a difference depending on who sleeps the top bunk. Headroom matters.

The hearing matters too high, way too long to get up to speed. Too low fuel mileage suffers.

The truck we found, 780, has a 3.42, seems to do well, we average 8ish.  

Not sure what two different 730 models you are seeing, the 730 has an optional bolt on roof dam that diverts the air up and over the Trailer.

It can be removed. I think the 730 is 11 foot 6 inch or so.

The 780 height is 13 foot 3 inch. We have found anywhere a garbage truck can go, so can we.

We pull a very light load, never have lacked power, even the Monarch Pass in CO was a pleasant drive with that much truck.

How long is the RZR, the legal width for the deck is 8 ft.  Longer than that the RZR would need to be mounted long ways. 

Our truck gets about the same mpg with or without the TT.

We carry a Jeep Rubicon, and pull a travel trailer, we do not regret the move.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

It's a bit dated, but there is a lot of good info here.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

The 730 is a mid roof style but like Parrfromance says it could have an extended air dam on the roof. Actually legal width is 102" (8'6") not the 8' indicated by Parrfromance.  

With rear end gearing, you also need to look at the transmission gearing to see it is an OD or 1:1 gearing, that has to be looked at in combination with the rear end gearing. With most of the light loads many of us are pulling the lower the number the better but it won't make a lot of difference. With large fuel tanks you can shop and buy fuel cheaper which may offset the fuel mileage gain so now you can also look at fuel tank size!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

When I say 2 different versions, this is what I am talking about with the "not flat" roof. When I say 2 different versions, this is what I am talking about with the "not flat" roof. 

image.png.ada8236cf628b7b6bf65e86d90bce4a8.png

The RZR is 107", but I plan on cross loading it.  I know there has to be a "regulation" for everything but it is only 2.5" per side over width and still well inside the mirror width.  

With less than 2' of difference in height between the 730 and 780 I don't think the limitations of the 730 are worth that little of a height difference.  

I will look at that link tomorrow.

It looks like I need to do some more research on gearing vs transmission.  For gearing I have been seeing anything under 3.xx is best. 

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

For the record, the official wide limit on all roads is 8'.  On Interstates, the limit is raised to 102". 

Being inside the mirrors doesn't count if the LEO is checking.  Mirrors, steps, lug nut covers are examples of exempted safety equipment. 

Believe it or not, CB antennas are not safety equipment and if you really pissed the LEO off, he could over-width you on them.

Awnings on the trailer are exempted from the width limits.

Now would you get stopped at 107", probably not.  Just don't give the LEO a different reason to stop you.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We haul using a 730 with a 2.47 rear end, we pull a 42ft. fifth wheel carrying a RZR S 1000 or a JD Gator sideways.  The 12 gear I-shift that is matched up with the 2.47 rear end does not have Overdrive.  I think but am not positive most of the 2.47 rear ends have direct drive I-shifts without Overdrive.  The sweat spot for this truck is around 66-67 mph turning 1,350 rpm.  This produces a little under 8 mpg depending on the head wind and grade.  The RZR without the front and rear bumpers is 106" long.  Our bed width is 101 so we carry 2 inches over on the drivers side and 3 inches on the passenger side.  We have Met a LEO on the side of the road for not using the truck route through town, my bad didn't see the sign and truck Garmin didn't pick it up.  The LEO told me since I wasn't commercial I hadn't broken any laws and let us go.  They never said anything about the Gator hanging off the sides a few inches.  It might have helped (saved us) when I mentioned I new Big5er.

It34jPbm.jpg

Edited by Radar274

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Been hauling our RZR's cross wise for twelve years without a problem

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg