warmcozyfire

Drop Down Bunk

Hi - we're just getting started with research before we buy our first RV. Thinking used Class-A, and curious if anyone knows the first year the drop down bunk came out? The oldest we've been able to find so far is 2014.

Thanks! 

Welcome to the Escapees forums!

If you mean the type that lowers from the ceiling above the driver & passenger seats, we had that in our 1987 Allegro. 

I also saw your post in the RV accessories section, but will respond here and save making two posts. My first thought is  that you take a look through the RVs, Tows, & Toweds for Sale section as that is where you will find RVs for sale. 

As to what you are looking for, outdoor kitchens are not common in the class A rigs, but there are a few around. The same is true for bunk beds. While we had a motorhome with a drop-down bed in the cab area, I have not seen one in several years. There used to be an after-marked company that made them but the only one that I can find now is Cabbunk from UK. You may be able to do this yourself with suggestions from this do it yourself website. Another possibility would be the Dormire Bunk/Bed/Couch transformer

Edited by Kirk W

Thanks for all the info @Kirk W - had no idea they made those back in '87. Like I mentioned we're just getting started on research so it's all pretty foreign so far.

I'll check out the links you suggested. It's an interesting idea to try a DIY solution.

At the same site in Kirk's link there is another option: https://expandfurniture.com/product/hover-compact-fold-away-wall-bunk-beds/

If you put those in white on one side of the room you could use it as a big screen for a projection TV. Then put the one in Kirks' link on the other side of the room, under the projector, for seating during movie time. Beds for four that becomes an entertainment room during the day. :) 

Linda

We had a '84 (I think) Shasta class A with  bunk over the driver/passenger seats.  Not much use for adults but good for kids (if they don't fall out).

Lenp

44 minutes ago, lenp said:

We had a '84 (I think) Shasta class A with  bunk over the driver/passenger seats.  Not much use for adults but good for kids (if they don't fall out).

Lenp

There was  manual operating one in my old 1976 Allegro, the two youngest daughters slept there.  I  had a safety rail to slide under the mattress after the girls were up there.

11 hours ago, lenp said:

Lenp

Awesome! It seems that some of them now are big enough for adults. I think I saw one the other day that was actually a queen size

12 hours ago, sandsys said:

At the same site in Kirk's link there is another option: https://expandfurniture.com/product/hover-compact-fold-away-wall-bunk-beds/

If you put those in white on one side of the room you could use it as a big screen for a projection TV. Then put the one in Kirks' link on the other side of the room, under the projector, for seating during movie time. Beds for four that becomes an entertainment room during the day. :) 

Linda

Those are very cool! Almost makes me think it could double as a whiteboard during the day, big screen in the evening and then beds at night.