Gearmaster II for sale-SOLD

tyates007

I will post in classifieds as well but have a basically brand new Gearmaster II that I am going to sell. I had it in my 99 Volvo with a 10 speed manual when I first got it. There is no doubt it helped me learn to shift quickly. I sold the Volvo and never put it in the KW. Price is $500 OBO. They are $1000 new. PM me if interested or you would like more info. 

Edited by tyates007

Really nice device also shows speed and RPM too.  I was going to sell mine but became so attached I decided to keep it. Anyone with a crash box just starting out can do much better with the Gearmaster.  It takes awhile to learn the idiosyncrasies of a HDT gear box and they sure do help!  Love mine still after 10 years!

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Personal story.

I was "commissioned" to fly across the country (New Hampshire to Nevada) and ferry back a Volvo 630 with a 40 foot Carriage International attached to it. I was informed that the 630 came with a 10 speed manual. My Volvo had an Autoshift, clutch used for starting, stopping and reverse otherwise the computer did the shifting. I've been driving standard tranny cars all my life, "how hard can it be"😃. The seller took me and the new owner in the 630 around the hinterlands and eventually the town so we "could get the feeling of driving and shifting" the 10 speed. "What the hell, what's this grinding, I did double clutch, still grinding, ah, need to settle the RPM. SOB still grinding". Trying to down shift, particularly from upper five to lower five, was a bitch. Do I need to go down one gear, or do I need to go down two gears because it slowed down a lot more while I'm screwing around with it. It was a holly terror, but we took off anyway. The new owner was learning too. We crested over a big hill one time in the mountains and really needed to downshift on the way down, but he got the thing going pretty fast. I yelled at him "don't you dare to do it now", I figured once he hit that clutch he'd never find the right RPMs for that lower gear. I also lost it on an uphill side on an interstate. Gave up on the interstate, came to a full stop and started from full stop.

I don't remember if the new owner had a Gearmaster, or it came with the truck, but it wasn't connected. We stopped over at Jack's campground for a visit, unhooked the truck connected the Gearmaster and took it into the "hinterlands" to try it out. Whoa! the Lord has heard our prayer, has forgiven us our curses and has blessed this 10 speed with a new behavior. I went from gear grinding to actually float shifting (no clutch) the gears. Not all of them but at least some. I've gained a whole new level of respect for truckers and float shifters. Afterwards I have driven with Vern and watched him float shift his tranny, it was a thing of beauty, it didn't matter, up, down, any gear, any speed. Once he dropped that clutch he never touched it until the next stop. I've seen it one other time riding in a cab and with a trucker working an 18 speed, wow. So, all you iShift drivers, you have no clue.

Gearmaster is a great product for anyone contemplating a truck with  a manual. 

The guy that taught me to shift, (float gears) had me put my hand on the shifter knob and he put his hand over mine.  That way when he would change gears I could feel it bump the gear and then he would drop in.  Worked great and have taught a lot of newbies how to shift the same way.  At first they would have a death grip on the knob and try to force it in.  Then I showed them I could shift with one finger and they got the picture.   

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

4 hours ago, noteven said:

Deleted - getting off topic 

Oh, you sick boy.  I could still read your reply if I squint just right.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

23 hours ago, noteven said:

Deleted - getting off topic 

18 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Oh, you sick boy.  I could still read your reply if I squint just right.

Ya - the thread is about Gearmasters not Masters of Gears like me hahaha har har ya right

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 8 months later...
On 9/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, tyates007 said:

I will post in classifieds as well but have a basically brand new Gearmaster II that I am going to sell. I had it in my 99 Volvo with a 10 speed manual when I first got it. There is no doubt it helped me learn to shift quickly. I sold the Volvo and never put it in the KW. Price is $500 OBO. They are $1000 new. PM me if interested or you would like more info. 

Hey buddy you still have Gear Master ll for sale. please i need that so bad for my 2002 Volvo 770 with a 13 speed manual 

stephenagbale@yahoo.com (619)-836-5203  thanks