Best white caulk

rynosback

6 hours ago, rynosback said:

I need to ask what you think the best white caulk is.

In my opinion, that would depend on what you want to use it for and where it will be used. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

he best white caulk

Good morning ryno, If you're talking about up on an RV roof ??????? (around roof and fan vents and skylights or roof penetrations etc. subject to suitability for your roof type) Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant could I guess be referred to as "white caulk" its white at least !!! but its NOT the same product or chemistry as pure silicone "white caulk"...... Dicor is my go to choice up top SUBJECT TO the type of roof one has.  They also make a "white" colored sealant that's not the same as their self leveling and can be used say vertically so it doesn't run down after application. I often use Silicone (can get white or clear or colored) indoors, it remains flexible but doesn't stick well long term to some materials. For home use say around windows I have applied I think what's called Acrylic ?? or I think they also make some sort of Silicone/Acrylic but after years some of those dry up loose flexibility and separate grrrrrrrrrrrr

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW WHAT SURFACE YOU ARE APPLYING IT TO is I guess the more correct response this is ONLY what I've used on my many RV's with great results

John T  NOT any sealant or caulking expert so check with the manufacturers for recommendations regarding the surface for application.

Self-leveling caulking is great for roof locations where you want it to get into every crack and cranny with the help of gravity, but it isn't a good product for most vertical locations like a sidewall or the underside of a ceiling. I used to avoid silicone caulking for most locations because it won't stick to it's self if you need to add more and so requires getting 100% of it off, but now that they have silicone that is printable, I suspect that may no longer be a problem. 

26 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Self-leveling caulking is great for roof locations where you want it to get into every crack and cranny with the help of gravity, but it isn't a good product for most vertical locations like a sidewall or the underside of a ceiling. I used to avoid silicone caulking for most locations because it won't stick to it's self if you need to add more and so requires getting 100% of it off, but now that they have silicone that is printable, I suspect that may no longer be a problem. 

Mine just clean and touch up if needed.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

but it isn't a good product for most vertical locations like a sidewall or the underside of a ceiling

EXACTLY (but only regarding Dicor's "Self Leveling" product)  and that's why I mentioned one of Dicor's OTHER products I spoke about (NON SAG) for vertical applications.

22 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

They also make a "white" colored sealant that's not the same as their self leveling and can be used say vertically so it doesn't run down after application

FYI Heres the product I was describing in my post above, Dicor calls it non-leveling  non-sag

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-551LSW1-White-Non-Sag-Sealant/dp/B003YJLIW8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Dicor+Products&qid=1599236886&sr=8-5

OF COURSE YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE ROOF IS MADE OF FOR UP TOP USE OR WHAT OTHER MATERIAL YOURE TRYING TO SEAL 

Best wishes yall

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

I have had my issues with other materials.  I won't use anything but Dicor.  The non-sag formulation is designed for vertical surfaces.  It does not set as smooth as the self leveling when used on horizontal surfaces, but it works perfectly well.  Dicor seems to last forever, forms a good seal on about any material and does not dry or crack when exposed to intense sunlight and heat.  Sadly, I just bought a spare tube and the cost was double what I paid a few years ago...now $14 from Tweety's.

I know to use Dicor lap sealant for on the the roof for skylights, and vents. I need to reseal where the rubber roof goes under the rails on the side of the slides and where it meets the J channel molding (rain gutters). Both are vertical surfaces. 
Thanks

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 9/4/2020 at 5:46 AM, Kirk W said:

In my opinion, that would depend on what you want to use it for and where it will be used. 

know to use Dicor lap sealant for on the the roof for skylights, and vents. I need to reseal where the rubber roof goes under the rails on the side of the slides and where it meets the J channel molding (rain gutters). Both are vertical surfaces. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

5 hours ago, rynosback said:

know to use Dicor lap sealant for on the the roof for skylights, and vents.

For the top areas you should use the self-leveling Dicor 501LSW-1 Self-Leveling Lap Sealant, and on vertical surfaces use Dicor 551LSB Non-Leveling Lap Sealant. There are other brands that have quality products but I have always stayed with Dicor products because I first used them because Dicor made the roof that my coach had, and they stayed with them because they have been well proven. The competitive products may be "just as good as Dicor" which is a common claim, but I prefer the standard setter and you can always find the Dicor brand while other brand products will not always be available.