NORCOLD N611 does not get cold

gypsydan

During this heat wave (in AZ), with temperatures in the 100 to 110 range, I HAVE NOT been able to bring the refrigerator portion of my Norcold. N611 below 65 to 75°. The freezer part does get cold, but not Totally freezing    Is this normal?  If so, it makes the refrigerator unusable!  Do I have to move to cooler temperatures, which at the moment it’s not possible. 

Any suggestions?  

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Hi Dan, I guess you already looked at a service manual ???  https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1208371/Norcold-N611v-Series.html?page=2#manual for troubleshooting ????

However if all else fails when I had that problem in the past and troubleshooting or any manual advice didn't help cure it (often the case grrrrrrr) things that did help me (I bet you're already aware of all these) were using a 12 VDC muffin type fan in the exterior to circulate cooling air up past the coils and out the top vent,,,,,,,,,,,,small 12 VDC fans on the inside fins,,,,,,,,,,,Battery powered fan inside to help circulate air,,,,,,,,,,,,dont pack the fridge full especially near the fins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

Is it the same regardless if on LP gas or 120 VAC ?????????? (clogged burner or  tube or low flame if LP used) 

Is the fridge exterior compartment in the sun or shade even if under awning???

Is there any temp control adjustment inside be it moving the thermocouple or settings ??

Any evidence of refrigerant leaks ??? Hope not

The exterior clean and free of dust and debris all the way up top and the top vent clean ??

Let us know what you find , best wishes and good luck

John T

6 hours ago, gypsydan said:

I HAVE NOT been able to bring the refrigerator portion of my Norcold. N611 below 65 to 75°. The freezer part does get cold, but not Totally freezing    Is this normal?

That seems much too high, even under the most severe conditions. There are several things that may help, if we assume that the cooling unit is good. One of the first that I'd try is to set a small, 120V fan in the opening of the lower access panel and operate it blowing upward through the coils, to increase the air flow. You don't want a roaring gale but a good steady air movement. I used one like this, running on low speed. 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrrsErWzhvjQpQwgpE6

If there is some way that you can provide shade for the refrigerator, that will probably help. Also, look for anything that may be obstructing the air flow up through the outlet. If you can, open up the top and look down inside of the unit to be sure that nothing has changed to block air movement. It has been known to have insulation come loose and block the air movement. 

You haven't said anything about the age of the refrigerator, but it may be that the cooling unit has begun to lose refrigerant.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

He says  2009 four winds chateau class C.  You didn't ask about smelling amonia.  I remember when you guys broke the bad news to me. It still hurts.😩  I hope his is better news but I suspect the worst.  In a 25' class c it may not be possible but in my case I have been getting by for years since  by using a small dorm  size frig with double doors. I put it on the floor between the benches for the dining tables.  Kind of a pain when traveling but he might fair better since he probably has generator to run it on while traveling.  I even got lucky buying a used one from friend for $75. but I think I saw one comparable at Walmart for about $130.

Edited by bigjim

Replaced thermistor, with no luck. I have the ARP installed, so my next move may be to call them - after I review some YouTube videos. 

Edited by gypsydan

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg