Registering Vehicles Before Entering Texas

Bobalou

We’re going full time soon. Our plan was to travel from Connecticut to Texas and, when we arrive in Livingston, complete all domicile, vehicle registration and drivers license tasks. Now, someone has told me that we can (should?) register our vehicles in advance. I’m very confused and getting nervous now because we’re leaving Connecticut in a month and won’t arrive in Texas until November. We already have Escapees mail service.

I have a few questions which I can’t find answers for elsewhere. I appreciate the guides that Escapees provides but wish they gave more detail. For instance:

We own both our motorhome and tow vehicle, so we apply for Title & Registration?  (These are separate transactions in CT.)

Does Texas recognize the Make and Model of a motorhome (i.e., will the recognize Monaco LaPalma)?  Connecticut does not - in CT, our motorhome is registered as a Ford SuperDuty. 

Item 8 on the application is “Texas License Plate No.” Since we do not have one yet, I assume it’s ok to leave it blank?

I know the empty weight of our rig, but item #12 is Carrying Capacity (if any). I have no idea what that means, so I don’t know if I need to figure it out and fill it in or if I can leave it blank.

Item 29 - Vehicle Location Address (if different) ... No idea what to do there ... leave it blank? We’ll be nomads. 

Thanks for the help. I’m really not an idiot, just getting nervous because I thought we could do this when we get there, now thinking it could implode on us! 

Title and registration is one form.  Once titled change your insurance address.  Vehicle registration and insurance with new address are used to establish residency.  Your vehicle location address will be your Livingston address.  Also if you can get a bank statement with new address on it, that can be part of the residency proof.  Carrying capacity should be the difference between gross weight rating and curb weight.  There should be a sticker somewhere in your rig with those figures.   It is registered by make and model.  

Actually you could wait but get insurance and financial record of some kind at your new address.   Then when you get there it is:

• inspection,
  • go get registration/title done,
  • with those in hand get DL and register to vote.  

But do plan on it taking time because of offices on limited hours, by appointment only, or doing it online.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

You can do everything when you're in Livingston.  You don't have to register beforehand.

Reading your other post...... no, you don't have to get a lawyer.  It's easily done by yourselves in Livingston.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, Bobalou said:

We’re going full time soon. Our plan was to travel from Connecticut to Texas and, when we arrive in Livingston, complete all domicile, vehicle registration and drivers license tasks. Now, someone has told me that we can (should?) register our vehicles in advance. I’m very confused and getting nervous now because we’re leaving Connecticut in a month and won’t arrive in Texas until November. We already have Escapees mail service.

While it is true that you could register your vehicles before you get to TX, there are things that would still need done once you arrived in TX and there is no real need to do so. Many people do just as you had planned and do everything once they actually arrive in TX. It usually will take only a couple of days. The offices in Livingston are very familiar with what needs to be done and regularly deal with people who move to TX from other states. Let me give you an example. Suppose that you were to have a job transfer from Conneticut to Texas. In most cases you would have a mover come in and pack your belongings, sell the house and drive to TX, bringing your vehicles with you. Once you arrived there and have a new address, you would then begin the process of moving your vehicle registrations, insurance, driver's license and voter registration. That is exactly what you are planning to do now. I do suggest that you notify your vehicle insurance company of your intention to move to TX just to be sure everything is covered there, but this is a very normal procedure and there is no need to change that. 

I do suggest that you contact Polk Co. offices to discuss your plans as you will need appointments due to the covid19 situation. You already know what your address will be and once you arrive at Rainbow's End, you will be able to take care of everything. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk,  the problem will be the second piece of paper to affirm residency for the Drivers License.  The registration/title works for one, but you need a second one.  That's why I suggest changing bank account or something similar to the Texas address, or getting the insurance changed over to the Texas address ahead of time.  Easiest would be something like a DirectTV or Dish statement with the new address on it.  That's what I've used for renewals, in addition to voter's registration, title on the motorhome, etc.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We did ours so long ago I don't recall details of ours. It was so simple to complete.

They could register the RV first and use that as one documentation.  Then get insurance on vehicles and use the statement for second documentation.

Finally, get the driver's license.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-15.pdf

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks to everyone who responded above, but if someone who has gone through this recently could please answer my questions, I would be even more appreciative.  I’ve been sitting here with this form for a couple of days now not knowing how to fill in some of these blanks.

Does Texas recognize the Make and Model of a motorhome (i.e., will they recognize Monaco LaPalma)?  Connecticut does not - in CT, our motorhome is registered as a Ford SuperDuty. 

Item 8 on the application is “Texas License Plate No.” Since we do not have one yet, I assume it’s ok to leave it blank?

Item 29 - Vehicle Location Address (if different) ... No idea what to do there ... leave it blank? We’ll be nomads. 

I told you they will list your vehicle by Make and Model.   Our registration for the motorhome is 2002 ALPI  Make (abbreviated for Alpine) and MH for Model.  Plus the VIN number.   The vin number is the key.

Yes, leave Item 8 blank

That will be your Escapees address.

I just renewed my DL this year, and we renew registration each year.  Bought a new car last year, registered it via mail.   

You are making it harder than necessary.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

As I posted in another thread, I just completed my Domicile last Month. I did it in Livingston.  In addition to the above good tips, at the Tax Office, I also had to show proof of weight, (I used the Sticker behind the seat),  and a picture of the Rig.  Also you need to get a vehicle inspection done.  It costs $7, and there's a place in Town.  They only check lights and horn, takes about 10 minutes. For the RV and Toad total cost was $540.  What I would do online is start checking the Texas DPS website a couple of weeks before you arrive and try to schedule an appointment for a D/L License in Livingston.  I had to wait a week and go  to Hunstville (50 miles).

On 8/16/2020 at 7:28 PM, Barbaraok said:

told you they will list your vehicle by Make and Model.  

What you TOLD me was “It is registered by make and model.” That did not answer my question as to whether or not Texas recognizes motorhome makes and models as I specifically said that our home state of Connecticut does not.  

1 hour ago, Bobalou said:

That did not answer my question as to whether or not Texas recognizes motorhome makes and models as I specifically said that our home state of Connecticut does not.  

I don't think that we are understanding what it is that you want to know. With both of my motorhomes, the TX title listed the motorhome make and the chassis make, but neither of them mentioned what model of motorhome it was. In both cases the model year of each was also listed as that can be different. For eample, the Ford chassis change in early 1998 was listed as an early release of their 1999 chassis, so my Cruise Master was listed as a 1998 Cruise Master on a 1999 Ford chassis. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we bought our new car 2 yrs ago, I did our title/registration from out-of-state.  

I listed it as 

Year: 2018

Make: Ford

Body Style:  HB. (Hatch Back).         On our motorhome, it is listed as MH

Model: CMAX

Color: WHITE

Left the Texas Plate area blank

Listed actual mileage

Listed Empty Weight as on the door

For carrying capacity I didn't list anything on the form for the car.

For the motorhome, I just handed them the actual certified weight of the vehicle that I had received after weighing her that morning at a local weigh station.    Doing it in person is really easier because you just hand them your previous registration, the certified weight, the inspection certification and the very knowledgable clerks fill it in for you.   

Most important thing is the correct VIN number

You really are overthinking this.  All of the people in Polk county governmental office KNOW what full time RVers are, know all about the different regulations for RVs and are super easy to work with.  And they are very helpful on the telephone.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Most important thing is the correct VIN number

Do check on that. We had to have our new car re-registered because they typed the VIN wrong the first time.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van