New RVer on her own

Carolyn Ferran

Rainbow's End, an Escapees park, is a good place to begin because there are so many helpful people there. You can even get an all-wheel weight there with advice on how to best balance the load in your rig. https://rainbowsend.escapeesrvparks.com

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Texas is a very large state so do you have any ideas of what part of TX you wish to visit and what you expect to find there? Also how long would you be wanting to stay?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I can echo what Kirk said, Texas is a huge state, from Dallas/Ft Worth north area down to Big Bend on the border, or Lakeview in the east with large pine forest to El Paso desert terrain in the west. Or the gulf coast, Galveston, Port Aransas down to Corpus Christi.

Central Texas, Austin area is where we are now. There are lots of RV parks and Campgrounds in the Austin area, Bastrop, Kerrville, Johnson City, Fredricksburg, Texas Hill Country, San Marcos, and farther south like San Antonio, on and on. Yup the Escapee's park  just north of Houston at Livingston is a nice park and very reasonable rates if you are an Escapee's member. You can also learn a lot while there. Conroe in the same area has some nice parks. The KOA in Conroe is very nice.

The Bastrop area is fast becoming the RV/Mini Home campground/park capitol of Texas. There are now some 30-35 RV Parks within a 10-15 mile radius of Bastrop. Most are very nice retired, long term, snowbird type of campgrounds with anywhere from 60 to 100 plus camp sites per park. I would not consider these as "resorts" but most of them have some type of central hall where bingo and card games abound. All of them are full hookup type parks and some have WiFi, cable TV, laundry or camp store services at the campground. Some have swimming pools / hot tubs, spas or exercise rooms, or lakes and the like but most do not. This area is also home to a lot of State Parks and COE, LCRA parks with limited consecutive day stays and most do not have sewer connections at camp site but dump stations.

Best bet is to spend some time on the net looking at campground web sites in the area you want to stay to see what amenities the campgrounds offer and their monthly rates. Rates vary widely from $475- $800 per month depending on what amenities the park offers. As an example the campground we are at now, Bellamont RV Park Bastrop, is brand new, just opened this summer and is not completely finished yet but will have 90 plus sites all full hookups. Gravel sites with sodded grass, and is 525 per month with metered electric and laundry, US Mail lock box facilities on site but not much else yet.

Good Luck and safe travels.

Edited by Steven@146

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

Welcome, Carolyn. Rainbow's End, Livingston, is good for East Texas. You could also try Lone Star Corral in Hondo, TX, if you are looking at the Hill Country. Call ahead for both, though, as not all parks are accepting new visitors and I believe that neither park takes reservations. There are quite a few commercial parks in the Corpus Christi area.

You don't say what sort of RV you have (if you put that in your signature you can get better help on RV questions), but if you happen to have an Airstream product there is an Airstream-only park in Hillsboro.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Hi Carolyn, I am so new that I don't even own a small Class B RV yet,, and I will be going solo, I think. I'd be interested in how you plan to use your RV to travel. Thanks, or any other input from all of you experts. My interests are getting to the national parks, seeing family on the opposite coast, weekend trips around the northwest. So far, that is what is on my list of ToDos. Thanks

1 minute ago, Seeley D. said:

Hi Carolyn, I am so new that I don't even own a small Class B RV yet,, and I will be going solo, I think. I'd be interested in how you plan to use your RV to travel. Thanks, or any other input from all of you experts. My interests are getting to the national parks, seeing family on the opposite coast, weekend trips around the northwest. So far, that is what is on my list of ToDos. Thanks

Welcome to a great way to travel and a great group to help you do that.

At your very first national park get a park passport. We visited too many before learning of this program to go back and collect the stamps.

Have family find out if and for how long you can camp in their driveway. Some places don't allow that but those that do allow for a more inclusive visit. In my dad's driveway we slept in our rig, spent the morning doing our own thing, went into the house at lunchtime and stayed through the evening. It was a great visit!

Weekends are popular camping times. You might need reservations. If you can go mid-week instead of weekends you'll have more options.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van