What ECM info to ask for...

trimster

I'm having the computer info dumped for review, from a Volvo 670 truck we are looking at. Is there specific information I should ask the tech to pull from the trucks computer?

...and, not having seen one of these reports, are they easy to read? or do you need a secret decoder ring to figure them out?

Thanks

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

As important as an ECM dump may be (I'm not familiar with Volvo), ask for a warranty/service report which might tell you that the truck has been a problem child.  Also, spend a few bucks for a Rig Dig report...money well spent.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

The information in a "computer dump" really is not going to give you a lot.  Once fault codes are erased by the user the computer does not keep a record.  What cannot be erased by the user is information like hours idling, total hours, mileage, and VIN.  All of this is available from the dash panel DID with a 4 number password - default is 1234.  Various fault codes usually proceeded by a PID number and description may still be available from the DID if the user has not erased them.  Unless they have been corrected any faults should return for viewing within 50 miles of travel.  A Volvo dealer has the ability to enter a VIN number and get a print-out of all features included in the original build (I have one 3 pages long for my truck).  Unfortunately, service done across several dealerships that are not warranty related are not linked.  If the truck was serviced by a single dealer they will have the records for what they did but that is as far as history goes.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

RandyA

Thanks. I asked the volvo dealer who is pulling the computer dump, if I could get the service records if any. The owner operator home based in that area. Shot in the dark that they had the service done at the dealer. The person in service responded like I was asking for classified information..."I'll have to check if I can do that."

I'll go to the local (Salt Lake) dlr and get a build document. They seem to have far less attitude than their satellite store in Idaho Falls.

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

So where do you get information on things like regen rates? and other sub system data? I thought that was part of the computer data.

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Bob - my Volvo is a 2004.  No regen.  Unless regen is embedded with the data accessible from the DID like idle time and mileage I can't help you there.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I got the report. Fortunately the codes were not reset since March.

The low voltage faults (54 of them) I think are caused by the batteries. The dlr left the fridge and inverter on so they batteries were constantly getting drained. New batteries are in this trucks immediate future.

I think the low coolant levels sensor is somehow tied to the low battery problem. The coolant was full and looked good when I inspected the truck last Friday.

The report is attached. Anything there I should be concerned about?

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Ya, the high count ones I think are related to the bad batteries.

The MID ones (data link) are a mystery to me.

The clutch plate actuator is an out of alignment/adjustment sensor. That's what the tech said. Easy fix.

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

2 hours ago, trimster said:

Ya, the high count ones I think are related to the bad batteries.

The MID ones (data link) are a mystery to me.

The clutch plate actuator is an out of alignment/adjustment sensor. That's what the tech said. Easy fix.

Bob

Everything's an easy fix for the guy selling. t's so easy he just wants to save the work for the buyer, to prove how easy it really is.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Ya, get that.

So the latter 2 referring to the trans in the report are the most concerning. I'm still researching. These are apparently cascading/or linked at times. Some TuckersReports threads point to drivers hill-holding using the trans. 

The second one seems to be caused by "Clutch slip more than 8.0 seconds with vehicle movement less than 0.8 m (32 in) (e.g. hill holding event)" This caused un-do wear on the clutch. Not a good thing. But no other symptoms of clutch problems present themselves, like slipping under acceleration and gear hunting.

The first..."• The gear lever is moved from neutral or “FOLD” position without prior application of the service brake." No biggy.

Most of the rest of the data link ones seem to be fixed by pulling and cleaning connectors on the back of the instrument cluster and at one of the brains located in the dash.

The ABS brake codes ...I'm still researching.

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg