tv antenna

I intend to run solar panels high enough to clear vents and it will clear antenna also. So will cover antenna. I wonder if the batwing will perform better in down position vs one of the shorter stationary ones. I could put one of those on top of ladder mount. Ladder is gone but it provides a decent handhold coming up from the side. Know the short staionary ones not as good as batwing. Not used the antenna for years but when retire may need to to get any tv in some places.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...

I picked up a "Clearview" antenna a few years ago and have been pretty happy with it except in North Central Oklahoma. Getting it to 30+ feet in the air was the only way I could pull stations in from OKC. With the Oklahoma/Kansas winds it was a bit difficult keeping it turned the right way all the time. I am in search of an extendable mast and then maybe I will be able to find an antenna rotator from the 60's. Anyone remember having to turn the dial on top of the TV to turn the outside antenna the right way to pull in the stations? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, lappir said:

Anyone remember having to turn the dial on top of the TV to turn the outside antenna the right way to pull in the stations? 

Rod

I still see antenna rotors once in a while . Can't say any work any more , but ...

Maybe you should start carrying a tank of helium and a supply of balloons that you could hook that Clearview to . You might want a decent rope , too . :D

As for an antenna , I use whatever came on the motor home from the factory . I did add just a little bit of extra wire to boost reception . That has worked very well . 

HPIM0002.jpg

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

i wonder if one of the extension flagpoles that have a base you park a tire on would work? I think I saw one that extended 30'. I don't know how those Western winds would like it though.

And yes, I still have a 70' TV antenna tower at home with a rotor to control the directional antenna, which still works. It receives 34 different channels from 3 different cities. Now finding someone to work on it is another matter.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

i wonder if one of the extension flagpoles that have a base you park a tire on would work? I think I saw one that extended 30'. I don't know how those Western winds would like it though.

And yes, I still have a 70' TV antenna tower at home with a rotor to control the directional antenna, which still works. It receives 34 different channels from 3 different cities. Now finding someone to work on it is another matter.

Ray, 

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to remember what we used to call the box for weeks now. Rotor Control is what I think now. It could have been just the rotor or the rotor box. Anyway, thanks again. 

I have looked at some of the Military Surplus internet sites and see some extending masts. I would mount it to the frame of my truck so I don't think the wind would flip it over. I used some 2 inch pvc pipe for the trial Put a short section of a cheater pipe I had where I connected the two pieces together. I thought  a T connector with a short stub to assist with turning would work but it didn't work out too well. Would work apart over time and quicker each time it seemed. Put some sheet metal screws through the joints and fixed the pipe in place with the same. Stood up to some pretty good winds. Can't find a photo I took right now, but may try to attach later. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

8 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I still see antenna rotors once in a while . Can't say any work any more , but ...

Maybe you should start carrying a tank of helium and a supply of balloons that you could hook that Clearview to . You might want a decent rope , too . :D

As for an antenna , I use whatever came on the motor home from the factory . I did add just a little bit of extra wire to boost reception . That has worked very well . 

HPIM0002.jpg

I didn't have one put on my Spacecraft. I wanted nothing on the roof in preparation for full solar panels some day. I have used a couple of the Clearview. Started with the indoor one in South Florida and it worked well there, but not in Iowa. Got the longer range one and if I get it high enough it does a good job. Much better than the Satellite Dish that the current RV Park has. As soon as I hear the rain drops it seems the Dish looses it's signal. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800