TT to a CLASS C

Satchmo1960

New to the forum and thinking of going from a travel trailer to a class C. Looking for used in the 40-60,000 dollar range. How important is a diesel motor ? We live in Ohio and plan to travel south and outwest. I take it the gas ones can climb mountains out west and maybe diesel for mileage and longevity ?

Thanks for your input 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! As you shop for a class C you will quickly find that the majority are powered by gasoline engines with diesels onlhey available in a few models, unless you go to one on the Sprinter chassis or move up to one of the super C models. I'm not sure why, but diesel engines are not often available in the van chassis that are most commonly found under the typical class C.

As to which is best, there is a really hot debate over that, especially in the class A crowd. We were fulltime in a gasoline powered class A for nearly 12 years and if I had it to do over, I would probably buy the same rig that I have if availability were then same as then. Gasoline does cost less but most diesels get better mileage. Of course the diesels also cost considerably more to buy but they also have a much longer useful life, although most gasoline engines today will make at least 200k miles if properly cared for and maintained. If the class C's built on the Sprinter chassis work for your budget and needs, I would probably go that route. If a typical class C, I would not hesitate to go with gasoline as long as it was not excessively high mileage and checked out as sound with a trusted mechanic. 

As a footnote, I would love to own a super C but they are beyond my budget comfort.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums! As you shop for a class C you will quickly find that the majority are powered by gasoline engines with diesels onlhey available in a few models, unless you go to one on the Sprinter chassis or move up to one of the super C models. I'm not sure why, but diesel engines are not often available in the van chassis that are most commonly found under the typical class C.

As to which is best, there is a really hot debate over that, especially in the class A crowd. We were fulltime in a gasoline powered class A for nearly 12 years and if I had it to do over, I would probably buy the same rig that I have if availability were then same as then. Gasoline does cost less but most diesels get better mileage. Of course the diesels also cost considerably more to buy but they also have a much longer useful life, although most gasoline engines today will make at least 200k miles if properly cared for and maintained. If the class C's built on the Sprinter chassis work for your budget and needs, I would probably go that route. If a typical class C, I would not hesitate to go with gasoline as long as it was not excessively high mileage and checked out as sound with a trusted mechanic. 

As a footnote, I would love to own a super C but they are beyond my budget comfort.

Thx Kirk, I appreciate your insight...The Super C is a wicked beast but yea.......WAY out of my price range.

I've heard from others that Sprinters are expensive to repair and there are few repair shops that will work on them.

You don't need a diesel for mountains.  You'll just go up slower but you'll make it.  Out west you'll see thousands of rentals tooling around and they will be gas models.  They climbed the mountains successfully.  I think you can find a nice used one in your price range.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

We have owned both a Class C and  a travel trailer. 

What do you plan to use for transportation at destinations? If you plan on a toad; with a Class C, you will have to keep an eye on your GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) hitch rating and Maximum tow rating.  We started with a 27' Class C, no toad. It served us well for weekends, visiting family and short vacation trips. Using it for site seeing, shopping, etc. was somewhat of a pain because we had to unhook and re-hook for each trip. Our Class C had the Chevy 6.0 gas engine in a 3500 chassis. The towing capacity was 3500#. We found that very few cars that could be flat towed weighed 3500# or less. Adding  dolly or trailer to the mix just added weight to the combination making it still difficult to find a suitable toad. I think 5000# tow rating is more common these days and Chevy now offers the 4500 chassis for RVs.

After retirement when we started travelling for longer periods; we ended up switching to a 27' box (30') travel trailer and diesel pickup with a cap on the bed. The trailer had more useable space than the Class C and more carrying capacity even without considering the capacity of the truck. We purchased both the trailer and the truck new for less than $60,000, but that was in 2007. I think you would have a lot of choices in trailers and gas trucks within your price range if you wanted to upgrade your current rig.

When you look at Class C's; look at where the storage compartments are located with an eye towards being able to balance weight. Our Class C had a huge storage compartment behind the passenger side rear wheels. It could easily be loaded with far too much weight for the rear axle and/or the passenger side rear tires. Another outside compartment was made of sheet metal hanging beneath the coach. My tool box (about 50#) just about ripped the compartment off from the bouncing down the road.

Something I suggest you look for in a Class C is seats that will swivel around for use when parked. Ours did not have them and the cab area was basically wasted as usable living space when parked.

Good luck in your search for the right RV for you.

Edited by trailertraveler

In that price range, you should be able to find a gently used Class C on the Ford E450 which is a workhorse and easy to service. Our Lazy Daze had about 139,000 on it when I sold it off and replace with a Minnie Winnie on the 2016 Ford E450 which has an upgraded 6 speed automatic transmission and "tow haul" mode. Tow Haul works well, however, I am not a heavy mountain climber so can't testify to heavy mountain use. When I sold the Lazy Daze, the Ford ran like new. X2 on the swivel seats, it really adds to the comfort when parked. And the dog loves "his own chair". Look at the Minnie Winnie 31D, I've seen a few used ones on RV Trader, I bought new, it is a great floor plan manufactured for only 2 years that I am aware of (2017 + 2018) Winnebago year. The Ford is a year older. After 4 years in the 31D, I can honestly say there isn't much I would change. 

Winnebago might be the best quality for a Class 😄

https://www.rvtrader.com/Used-Winnebago-Minnie-Winnie/rvs-for-sale?make=WINNEBAGO|2307464&model=MINNIE WINNIE|764852710&condition=U

If you're planning to be a snowbird and stay out for months at a time you'll be happy with something with good storage and something you'll be able to tow a car.  We could never be without a vehicle for siteseeing and it's a lot more economical that driving a motorhome around and easier to find parking places.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Let me suggest that if you have not done so, visit several of the larger dealers and compare numerous different makes and models, even if they are beyond the limits of your budget, because looking may give you ideas. If you have never considered a class A, take some time to look at and test drive one or two of them as well because many of us find them to be a better choice for similar money. If you have not driven a class A, you may be surprised how easily it is done.  As to the Sprinter based RVs, I have known 3 couples who travel in Sprinters and all are very happy with them, but they do cost more. Probably the very best class C would be the Lazy Daze, but they too are more expensive and they can be difficult to find as the company is pretty small and has no dealers but sells from the factory. A good place to get a feel for what is available and for prices would be the magazine RV Trader, which does allow searches by type and by location. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 7/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, Kirk W said:

good place to get a feel for what is available and for prices would be the magazine RV Trader, which does allow searches by type and by location. 

PPL motorhomes online site is also a good place to get a feel for types of rigs and their prices although nothing is a good as walking through some. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, buy used from an individual and judge the individual as much as the rig..cannot do that buying used from a dealer.  New rigs suffer from build problems that dealers lose money repairing...so they are not in a hurry for warranty work and plus, you take the biggest depreciation loss.

Class C's enjoy better engineering, higher reliability, more service locations, quicker service on the chassis than Class A's.

Regarding buying from a private seller, notice how they keep up their other property and remember most folks prefer to sell their problems to a dealer to insulate themselves from buyer issues later.  If they feel good about their rig, they might prefer to sell themselves more.  They get more money and can be honest with the buyer.

Look for somone who is selling because of life changes such as health or finanical.

If you have a rig to pull, trailers are the most common and best bang for the buck.  More trailers on the road than any other RV.

Look for rigs that are not built by publicly held companies that rely on advertising, marketing and unreponsive dealer networks to grow...look for companies and dealerships that grow on quality products and after sale support. 

29 minutes ago, grinder said:

look for companies and dealerships that grow on quality products and after sale support. 

Some builders, including Winnebago, hold an annual rally for owners of their products. We went to Winnebago's Grand National Rally and it was a great place to learn about the newest stuff, get your questions answered, see what other owners are doing in rigs like yours, and get work done before or after the rally. That's support!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van