Ryder & Penske Trucks

raychristina

I have an ex Ryder truck, not to pull the rv, but for hauling grain on the farm. It had 828k on the odometer when I bought it in 2007, and has 853k now.  I would buy from them again.  I got complete service records since the truck was placed in service when new, so don't have to guess if something is near the end of it's service life

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I worked for Penske Truck leasing for 4 years. Here is how the disposal of used equipment goes. First they approach the wholesale market, retailers that are willing to buy multiple units. They get the best of the units if they are willing to pay for them. By the best, I mean long term lease units( 3 or more years ) that have been assigned to one customer, preferably serviced by one Penske location. Next will be  dealers who will take one or 2 at a time, who know what they are buying and inspect them carefully wholesale for retail sale. 

Next, which is what you are referring to is the units for sale at a given Penske sales lot. Yes they will have full maintenance records available. Yes they will have at least 50% tires and brakes and all known defects will be addressed. These will be units that might have been at one customer for their career, or could be weekly or daily rental units. Penske will ask full retail for these units, and they will stand behind their warranty. The first 90 days is the least of your problems. Penske is as large and successful as they are because they know exactly how to make money in this  capital intensive business. As the truck is used in their fleet they stretch oil changes as far as allowed or farther, same with lubrication. If a truck comes needing some tires, it is going to get only what it needs, no more. Because their road side repair network is so good, and they have many ready replacement units, they push the envelope on any repairs. They know they are going to have that truck for x amount of time or miles depending on the lease contract, and get rid of it after that. If they can't sell the truck within a period of time it hits the auction market. 

The trucks are overwhelmingly strippers but command premium money because of the warranty. I don't think it is worth it. 

Edited by beyerjf

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

On 6/22/2020 at 8:39 AM, beyerjf said:

If a truck comes needing some tires, it is going to get only what it needs, no more. Because their road side repair network is so good, and they have many ready replacement units, they push the envelope on any repairs.

That reminds me of a railroad worker who one time told me that if a track has a 10 mph speed limit because it's in a residential neighborhood, they are only going to maintain that track to 10 mph standards. Makes sense when you think about it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When I bought my Mack, it had tires on it as Jeff described.  As part off the deal I got better, matching tires.  My truck was with one company and one driver for 7 years.

That said, I looked at Ryder again before buying the Volvo.  They had nothing that suited me.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My truck was originally ordered by Ryder. Used for xx years then sold to a dealer where it was purchased by the guy who converted it. He used it for a few years then sold it to me.

I only know it was a Ryder truck because that info is in the Cummins database when I look up parts and such for my Esn.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.