Fifth wheel landing gears

runaway parents

34 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

..., no matter how much you try, you can never get the trailer as level as with big foots/hydraulic levelers. The door shuts easier, toilet flushes better, shower drains better, etc.

Of course you can.  And it really doesn't take much effort to do so.  We take a minute to level side-to-side using interlocking blocks, and then we raise or lower the front to get front-to-back level. 

I appreciate that hydraulic levelers are more convenient, but let's not pretend that they do something magic that cannot be done conventionally.  

The "toilet flushes better"??  For real??  😐

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

One time at band camp...   I mean, one time in Bandera, TX, I was setting up by myself.  38* and drizzle/sleet.  Rig 15' longer than the pull through, so I'm blocking the road as I jump out, check levels, throw down boards, back on, check levels, pull up, repeat and repeat......

Wife arrives from grocery just as I'm putting out the slides, wet and cold.  That was the day I decided to pony up for the Big Foot.  I don't often need to set up alone, but when I do, I quickly forget what I paid for that button.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

One time at band camp...   I mean, one time in Bandera, TX, I was setting up by myself.  38* and drizzle/sleet.  Rig 15' longer than the pull through, so I'm blocking the road as I jump out, check levels, throw down boards, back on, check levels, pull up, repeat and repeat......

Wife arrives from grocery just as I'm putting out the slides, wet and cold.  That was the day I decided to pony up for the Big Foot.  I don't often need to set up alone, but when I do, I quickly forget what I paid for that button.  

What is the price of convenience?
I used to camp in a 12 man or women tent, put out the camp stove, well you get the picture, so I will push the auto level button the rest of my life and be glad I did it.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

7 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Of course you can.  And it really doesn't take much effort to do so.  We take a minute to level side-to-side using interlocking blocks, and then we raise or lower the front to get front-to-back level. 

I appreciate that hydraulic levelers are more convenient, but let's not pretend that they do something magic that cannot be done conventionally.  

The "toilet flushes better"??  For real??  😐

It flushes in the opposite direction.  Or is that south of the equator.

7 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

I resisted for two years, finally saved up the cash, no matter how much you try, you can never get the trailer as level as with big foots/hydraulic levelers. The door shuts easier, toilet flushes better, shower drains better, etc. Single best upgrade to the trailer IMO. Close second is Truma tankless water heater. 

I'll have to try and find a picture. Bill Moriarty has landing blocks that hang on the leveler feet. Basically the block has small, aluminum angle iron on three sides on the top. Slides the open end over the feet, then deploys the legs. 

found it:

HsibYSQl.jpg

With that setup, the trailer can still be pulled off the blocks forward.  Maybe a piece of flat bar added to the front to prevent that from happening.

Putting the box on plastic or rubber is a good idea.

1 hour ago, rdickinson said:

With that setup, the trailer can still be pulled off the blocks forward.  Maybe a piece of flat bar added to the front to prevent that from happening.

Putting the box on plastic or rubber is a good idea.

He puts them on sideways, the open ends are side to side, vs. front to back.

Toilet in my trailer had issues, would bubble bad if trailer was not level. After bigfoots installed, bubble went away when flushing. two years later, still no bubble. YMMV.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4