Insurance for full-timers

eskecd

We called Miller insurance and they were very knowledgeable about full time RV needs. They were able to help us schedule those higher value items that are not fully covered by the general policy, like higher value jewelry, special items in storage, carbon bikes etc etc. You need to "schedule" certain items, dont assume your $4,000 bike is covered....

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

If you are eligible for a USAA membership, they can put a package together for you, too. They've been very good to me for 35 years and, when we transitioned to full-time, passed me off to a supervisory agent, licensed in Texas, and familiar with the ins and outs of full-timing. (Yes - the coverage includes VPP/valuable personal property coverage and an umbrella policy for additional liability coverage). I think they only cover towables now, though - if you have a motorhome they shunt you to Progressive.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

7 hours ago, Second Chance said:

If you are eligible for a USAA membership, they can put a package together for you, too. They've been very good to me for 35 years and, when we transitioned to full-time, passed me off to a supervisory agent, licensed in Texas, and familiar with the ins and outs of full-timing. (Yes - the coverage includes VPP/valuable personal property coverage and an umbrella policy for additional liability coverage). I think they only cover towables now, though - if you have a motorhome they shunt you to Progressive.

Rob

This is good to know, since I am also a 35 year member of USAA and will not own a motorhome for fulltiming.

Thanks

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

It all depends on what State you are registured in. Many insurance companies also say they are full time but they mean that the coverage is 365 days of the year. Make sure your full time coverage covers you when parked and for slip and falls in your rig and campground and for personal contents like a homeowners policy  

I was with Miller for many years and they were able to get me coverage with Allied a division of Nationwide. Their premiums went up a lot a few years ago. I shopped around and found out that in my State of So Dakota many insurance companies would not write a full time living policy. State Farm, Hartford (AARP), Liberty Mutual and it’s subsidery Safeco were a few who would not. I went with Geico and saved a lot. Got my Class A, Jeep Wrangler, Harley, an Umbrella and three rental properties with them. Just renewed and the premium actually went down. Just an FYI, Geico says they do homeowners and renters insurance but they actually broker it with Travlers but you still  have a Geico agent. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Many insurance companies also say they are full time but they mean that the coverage is 365 days of the year. Make sure your full time coverage covers you when parked and for slip and falls in your rig and campground and for personal contents like a homeowners policy  

That is a very important difference. The typical RV policy does not cover items that most home owner policies provide for the owners when traveling, such as personal property coverage and guest liability should one get hurt. In addition, most standard RV policies have a limit to the number of nights the RV can be occupied. Agencies like those that I listed and also Miller are well aware of the fulltime lifestyle and know what you need. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...