time for trailer tires

Time to purchase new trailer tires for my horse trailer.

I currently have Goodyear g614 14ply and have been good but my local Kal tire does not deal with Goodyear. Looking for opinions on the Carlise Radial Trail HD.  My concern is the Goodyear is 110 psi and the Carlise is 95psi. Also the Goodyear are more than twice the price.  Had Crossfire on before and did not like the damage the blowout did after 2 years of use.

Edited by stolpsaddles

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

Sailun S637 14 ply is comparable to GY G614 and are excellent tires at 1/2 cost of G614. Check with independent tire stores not big brand tire stores. When I needed them a local Chattanooga independent got them overnight.  Also check Simpletire.com.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

2 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Sailun S637 14 ply is comparable to GY G614 and are excellent tires at 1/2 cost of G614. Check with independent tire stores not big brand tire stores. When I needed them a local Chattanooga independent got them overnight.  Also check Simpletire.com.

I ran Sailun S637 16" load range G tires on our 5er for several years without a problem, In fact, when a U-bolt broke, allowing one axle to slide rearward on one side, the result was, it wore two of those Sailun tires down to the steel belts. I  had the axle repaired, new parts flown-in from Seattle, and continued my Alaska trip. I had those tire replaced 6,000 miles later, when we returned home.

That persuaded me to install Sailun 22.5 tire on our MH 4 years later. BTW, a tire dealer that sells Cooper tires usually sells Sailun tires too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:43 PM, SWharton said:

We switched to Toyo, max pressure isn't critical, weight on each axle is. Make sure whatever tires you buy are rated for your weight!!!! You should also adjust your pressure for the weight on each tire(we add 5 lbs).

Also switched to these tires, Toyo. Only instead of 5 feet, I add 7. At 5, I felt a little discomfort in the ride, but 7 is perfect. Maybe this is my specificity

The Carlisle are great tires. I've switched to them on the last three rigs and never had a failure. You won't regret switching to them.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5RL used for full-timing for several years. Sold

2114 Sunnbrook 25' RL pull trailer for summer camping and short trips.

2007 Chevy diesel 

When I had my fifth wheel I got rid of the China bombs it came with and went with Mitchelin XPS Ribs. Excellent tire, with a reinforced side wall. They are not cheep but five years later when I traded it in for my Class A they still looked new. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 8/28/2019 at 6:57 PM, Ray,IN said:

BTW, a tire dealer that sells Cooper tires usually sells Sailun tires too.

I believe Sailuns are made by Cooper to their specs in China...I have had excellent wear/mileage out of their 17.5 tires.

Edited by jblo

On 8/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, stolpsaddles said:

Time to purchase new trailer tires for my horse trailer.

I currently have Goodyear g614 14ply and have been good but my local Kal tire does not deal with Goodyear. Looking for opinions on the Carlise Radial Trail HD.  My concern is the Goodyear is 110 psi and the Carlise is 95psi. Also the Goodyear are more than twice the price.  Had Crossfire on before and did not like the damage the blowout did after 2 years of use.

You should research these. 

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/csl-16

On 8/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, stolpsaddles said:

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

11 hours ago, jblo said:

I believe Sailuns are made by Cooper to their specs in China...I have had excellent wear/mileage out of their 17.5 tires.

Sailun is not connected to Cooper Tire. Sailun makes auto and trailer tires in China, They moved truck tire production to Vietnam 3 years ago.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I’ve had 3 Chinese tires blow out in the last six months.  (One on the RV and two on a cargo trailer.). Coughed up a few extra dollars and bought American made Goodyear Endurance.  Those 3 tires were the correct load range and pressures, speed and temps were not the issue.

It is my habit to buy American and I am rarely disappointed.