attaching plate to bed.

house

I hope is ok to start another topic about this, but I am just about to attach the floor plate to my cross members and I was planning on using 8, 1/2 bolts to bolt them down 1 on each corner and 2 more near the center like 28 inches from the edge.  I figure if i make is so you can unbolt the plates which are basically 4x8 it will make it easy if i need to ever work on anything to access it from the top.

This past weekend I had to use the truck and before I got a chance to get the attachments done so i just strapped the 5/16 sheets to the cross members and it sounded a like someone was beating on a metal drum as i was driving down the freeway, so now i am concerned that it is going to be like that once the plate is bolted down. is there any better way to put the plate on? 

i were to put some double sided tape on the cross members it would help quiet it? should i just weld it?  I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Edited by house
grammer

I gots my nomex undies on, so I'm prepared for some disagreement............

I prefer more, but smaller bolts.  That helps reduce the metal drum effect.   But, I have to ask, will there be anchors or tie down points added?  Will they be bolted through the cross members too?  I used 3/8" bolts on my removeable sections.  I welded nuts under the cross members.  I plan to swap out the hex heads for button head stainless at some point, just to reduce trip hazard.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I would still weld the nuts, becuase it can be a PITA reaching under the dirty bed to hold them.  I made that misteak the first time around.

If you are not relying on the floor as anchor points, then it's simple to use smaller bolts.  Heck, 1/4" would be fine.  I'm no enjinear, but I would think it would be silly to use bolts bigger than the floor thickness, unless you use big fender washers to spread loads.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Going to bring up a name or 2 here...

Carl, Suite Success and Denver and Judy Geity (SP) both have panels that are held on by 1/4-20 button head bolts.  Carl has his removable panels along the driveshaft area to make service easy.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My removable panels are held on with 1/4" 20 bolts.  The nuts are welded on underneath.  These are just part of the bed and do not have anything tied to them.  One of the panels is fairly big and somewhat heavy so I drilled 2 holes and welded nuts so I can bolt on a handle to pick it up with.  I have removed these panels to work on a some things and I am sure glad they are there.  These are quiet.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Our deck plate is 1/4" checker-plate steel, held down with 4 1/2" bolts. The bottom of the plate is gusseted with angle and square tubing. to match the carrying capacity of the deck itself. It's probably overbuilt, but I'd rather that than underbuilt. The bolts are recessed into pipe sleeves, to remove any tripping hazard. The nuts are welded in place.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Here is a pic of what Jim was referring to. The center panels (2) are the undercarriage access. FqtezYcl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"