ac unit question

schirtzy

i have a camper with the ac unit that has the controls on the inside cover dometic  and I was looking at a place that sells  some like this http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-single-zone-control-kit-with-lcd-thermostat.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CjwKCAjwqfDlBRBDEiwAigXUaFH4KsWxEi_-XnWaGiIQ9mmGaUjwGiOeAkhG30BVoHSUiOPIym_QABoCqisQAvD_BwE 

Does anyone have any experiences with doing anything like that ?

dometic_single_zone_cool-furnace_control_kit_with_lcd_thermostat-82073-1_1.jpg

I have the same type of air conditioner in our travel trailer and was not aware of the availability of this kit so am very interested in this kit. It does come from Dometic so it should be good but it concerns me that on the Dyers site all reviews are dated 2013? I went to the Dometic site and did find that same kit but I can't find any installation instructions, which leaves me with several concerns. It would seem that you would have to run wires to the thermostat and also to the furnace and that could be a major challenge, especially those that must pass through the ceiling. I am going to do more digging on this but like you, I'd sure like to hear from someone who has put one in! As a retired service tech, this does interest me but I'm also getting to an age where I just don't want some of the challenges. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would put the thermostat in the same spot the heat it in so just running the wire for the ac unit would have t be done and I am thinking to run it beside the power line would be the easiest way to do that .... it just would be nice to have the fan to cut on and off would be nice and I have had it on the lowest setting and would like it colder in their sometimes or a better-regulated temperature I just want to make sure it works with a unit as I have one that the controls built in . 

10 hours ago, Sehc said:

If you have no thermostat now, I guess you would have to run a wire. 

As I read the RV.net thread, he was converting from an analog thermostat to a digital one. The kit Shirtzy is looking at is to add thermostat controls to an air conditioner that has no thermostat but uses controls on the face of the grill on the ceiling. 

11 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I have the same type of air conditioner in our travel trailer and was not aware of the availability of this kit so am very interested in this kit. It does come from Dometic so it should be good but it concerns me that on the Dyers site all reviews are dated 2013? I went to the Dometic site and did find that same kit but I can't find any installation instructions, which leaves me with several concerns. It would seem that you would have to run wires to the thermostat and also to the furnace and that could be a major challenge, especially those that must pass through the ceiling. I am going to do more digging on this but like you, I'd sure like to hear from someone who has put one in! As a retired service tech, this does interest me but I'm also getting to an age where I just don't want some of the challenges. 

Return to Dyers and the referenced item.  Look on the page for "Useful downloads".  They offer an installation sheet.

2 hours ago, 001952119 said:

They offer an installation sheet.

I found it, thanks! I missed it before but it sure helps. Step b in section 1 looks like the biggest challenge for my situation since there are no wires between the two at present. Fishing a wire through the ceiling could be a major challenge. I think that I will do a little bit of investigating just to make sure. Fishing the wires don't sound like much fun. 

Yep, Kirk. Like I said, if he doesn't have an existing thermostat, he will have to run a wire. Agreed it can be difficult to thread wire through existing walls. But the thermostat does use a small thin wire. That helps some.. I used speaker wire for mine.

3 hours ago, Sehc said:

Like I said, if he doesn't have an existing thermostat

I suspect that schirtzy's trailer is like mine in that it does have a thermostat but it is a cheapie one that controls the furnace only so no wires run between the thermostat and the A/C unit. And while Wiremold will work and I have used it some places in the past, not sure the wife would appreciate it across the ceiling. 

58 minutes ago, schirtzy said:

so what does everyone think do you think it will work 

I believe that it will work if you can find a way to route the necessary wires between the A/C unit and the thermostat for the furnace location. 

• 3 months later...