Boondock through Harvest Host

ewacowboy

aknavy, Does this mean you can become a farm worker and boondock for the harvest season?

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

41 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I don't know how to say it plainer.

I don't understand the question either.  Harvest Hosts is not being a farm worker & boondocker.  It's a program like Passport America, etc.  You stay at a winery, farm or other private properties.  No work involved.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I don't understand the question either.  Harvest Hosts is not being a farm worker & boondocker.  It's a program like Passport America, etc.  You stay at a winery, farm or other private properties.  No work involved.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the question. 

You pay a membership fee, and get access to a few thousand hosts - typically wineries, breweries, distilleries (notice a trend...lol), farms, orchards, museums, other attractions, and if you pay extra, golf courses.  It's a place to spend a night and not be in a WalMart, Cracker Barrel, or a truck stop.  Generally a more appealing location.  We have used it for three years, and have not had a bad experience yet.  The closest to bad that we have come is driving down 12 miles of gravel road in Kansas to a little farm - the hospitality was still good, but I'd pass on the gravel road in the future.  To be honest, we knew ahead of time that the gravel road was there.  On the flip side, we have stayed at several vineyards, parked on the grass next to the grape vines.  Or on a farm, in a field, with no neighbors in sight.  Generally, the hosts are friendly and accommodating. 

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

On 9/14/2021 at 2:55 PM, DavidN said:

Why don't people just list the spots from Harvest Host on Campendium or other free directories?  Is a Harvest Host's membership required to camp at most of the places listed on there or something? 

I agree. I don’t think they do as the places probably have non members stay there. If everyone is willing to buy something then they are more then happy for you to stay. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

12 hours ago, rynosback said:

I agree. I don’t think they do as the places probably have non members stay there. If everyone is willing to buy something then they are more then happy for you to stay. 

Which is why we never used Harvest Hosts. I don't drink wine and wineries were the only ones offering this back when we were RVing. Knowing I wasn't going to buy any wine made me feel it was not right for me to use their campsites.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

Which is why we never used Harvest Hosts. I don't drink wine and wineries were the only ones offering this back when we were RVing. Knowing I wasn't going to buy any wine made me feel it was not right for me to use their campsites.

Linda

I have never either. PPA works great for me. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 8 months later...

Churches have now begun to join Harvest Host, usually not on Saturday/Sunday nights. As a former Youth Pastor, knowing how churches are struggling with limited and dwindling budgets, this helps generate income however small the donation is left by a HH member. Let's help churches survive. At most you leave your donation in a lock box somewhere outside.

I certainly hope towns allow all churches to offer this. It's a win win!