Relays for trailer lights

house

Just curious, I am going to jump into my truck bed lights and trailer plug lights this weekend, I am curious I was going to put a relay on the marker and turn lights. Because last year going to Denver in the snow I had a problem of my cab lights shorting out, and taking all my truck lights with it.  I was curious if it is ok to use relays on the turn signals or will it make signaling too crazy?

here is the relay pack i have

https://www.ebay.com/i/232789383788?chn=ps

9 hours ago, house said:

Just curious, I am going to jump into my truck bed lights and trailer plug lights this weekend, I am curious I was going to put a relay on the marker and turn lights. Because last year going to Denver in the snow I had a problem of my cab lights shorting out, and taking all my truck lights with it.  I was curious if it is ok to use relays on the turn signals or will it make signaling too crazy?

here is the relay pack i have

https://www.ebay.com/i/232789383788?chn=ps

What type of truck?  Regular Dodge/Ford or semi?

I drive (operate) my rear truck lights off the Jackalopee box.  There was some creative wiring under my Volvo from past owners.  The Jack made it easy.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

sorry freight liner 112, the 7 way plug was long ago cut off and a rats nest was installed as an upgrade.  I am pretty sure that the lights are run off the tail lights of the truck as they run stop and turn on the same circuit. and my understanding is that most commercial trailers run stop and turn on different circuits.

My recommendation is to sort out your wires and install a Jackalopee.  Well worth the money.  Relays are already there to convert from separate breaks to combined brake/turn.  I have seen installations with fuses on both sides and fuses on the output side only for more protection and sometimes, easier troubleshooting.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Benefit to this is that it is really small and it is sealed.  So if you have a daycab truck, don't want to cut a hole in your sleeper floor, or don't want to hear relays under your pillow in the sleeper this has some benefits.  Or if you just wanna wire a flatbed or some mudflap lights, or some rack lights, and you ordered your new truck with the OEM junction box like you are supposed to, then found out they wire them like a trailer [👎] this works good to fix that. 

Downside is that MP280 terminals are 30A and under, and your average micro relay is 15-20A unless you order something special, so the little unit is used for LED lamps only, and keep your plans for it kind of small, of course.  Also gets to be a bit of a rats nest if you aren't careful on the harness side when connecting as a powered trailer lamp converter.  Isn't quite 1:1 wire connections.

It'll work fine off of taillamps as a straight relay set, but doesn't really fix anything if something wipes out the tail or turn circuit.  If there is no signal to the relay it is not going to do anything, or it is going to stay on all the time.  Either way is still broke so, yea, gotta dig into the wires and get em sorted.

Here is a company that makes equipment for wires between tow mobiles and trailers

https://www.redarc.com.au/forum/discussion/261/24v-truck-to-12v-trailer-adapter

We ordered a converter from them to step down 24volt diesel Land Cruiser to 12v trailer, and combine the Toyota’s separate brake and turn indicator into the single for the trailer plug. All in one unit. Took 7 days to arrive by mail from Oz to west Canuck land. Still working 10? years later.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I thought about fixing the 7 way plug, but looking at the harness it looks to be pretty extensively bundled into the cabling which is cramped between the battery box and the frame.  the only wire i am using out of that is the Brake light, to actuate my brake controller.  I dont have any way to pull a 5th wheel any more so there is no reason to install the old 7 way.  Works good except that my prewired trailer plug does not follow standard color coding, no i need to just go back and figure out what Bergman did.

Archived