Oil usage

GlennWest

I have only put 2700 miles on my truck. Most work now new construction and jobs long term so not driving a lot. Full after service when purchased and now at add mark. Now, I'm not complaining, excepted usage. Is this about normal for 770k 14L Detriot or excessive? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn,

Can’t talk about Detroits but on my Volvo D12 since I got my injector harness changed and fixed that leak, I have never had to add oil.  I put about 5-6000 per year.  Using about a gallon in 2700 miles?  That sounds excessive.  Big puddles on the ground under the truck?  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Howdy Glenn,

when I first got my Freightliner with a series 60 engine I researched the heck out of it what I found was that it was NORMAL for a series 60 to use a quart of oil every 1,500-2,500 miles.  I changed my oil every 15,000 miles and would add around a gallon during that 15,000 miles.  This held true for the 68,000 miles that I put on the truck.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 7/2/2018 at 11:46 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy Glenn,

when I first got my Freightliner with a series 60 engine I researched the heck out of it what I found was that it was NORMAL for a series 60 to use a quart of oil every 1,500-2,500 miles.  I changed my oil every 15,000 miles and would add around a gallon during that 15,000 miles.  This held true for the 68,000 miles that I put on the truck.

Dave

That sounds about right Dave...it's about the same on my 11.1 Detroit.

Archived