Engine overheat

Zeke

We have a used 2005 Four Winds Madalay 40B with a 350 CAT. On flat ground it stays around 190-195 but on hills it starts to overheat. The radiator has been flushed, It has the correct pressure cap, When I idle down for cool off it comes right down to normal operating temp.  Fan is stationary so there is no clutch in it.  Any suggestions?

Does it have the correct coolant/water mix?  Too much antifreeze can cause an overheat condition as anti freeze does not reject heat as well as water does.

What temperature does the coolant get up to?

Because the rad is in the rear of the MH it picks up a lot of crud from the road, especially in the rain.  I learned this when i had the misfortune to have the rad removed for some engine work.  The mechanic called me over to look at the amount of crud he had just removed from the fins of the rad with a pressure washer as it layed on the shop floor.  When the fins are coated with crud they are not  as efficient at removeing the heat to the air as they are when clean.  His advice to me was to take a garden hose to the rad once in a while and get as much crud off as possible.  This may not help your problem at all but it is a start and easy to do.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Which is why we would never own a rear-radiator DP.  Love our side radiator - and much easier for them to work  engine too.

BTW - how hot does it get?  Ours will sit at 200 during a long climb.  The high fan gets in at 199 and pulls cool air over the side radiator, plus down shifting keeps the RPMS up.   We always downshift to at least 4th, maybe 3rd on really long steep grades.  Top the pass, we are already in 4th for the exhaust brake to kick in and walk us down the other side.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

psi cap, is it the correct one for your system?

coolent, correct level for your system.

coolent mix, corect mix with water. too much water,  is just as bad as too little of it.

water, hard or soft? use soft or proper distiled.

rad insides clear?

rad outside clear?

fan working?

water pump working?

belts slipping--missing?   very common problem where i work.

kinked hoses?

pluged hose?

oil  cooler?

cloged inside?  outside?

can air move easly around the motor?

how clean is everything? gunk hurts cooling.

any air bubbles in your coolet? = head gasket type of problem.

2 hours ago, zugzub said:

Cat C7's hit peak torque in the 1400-1500 RPM range. Cats were designed to make power at low RPM. If it's heating up thees another problem. 

If he is foot to the floor at 1400 to 1500 rpm, he might be making peak torque, but he will produce max. heat as well. This heat is removed by the radiator and fan. The fan can be direct, or hydraulically operated from an engine driven pump. The engine driven water pump circulates the water.      At low engine speed, water pump may not circulate water fast enough, and fan may not turn fast enough, to remove enough heat from the engine.

I have had Cat's, Cummins, and Detroits in motorhomes and have always had to shift down to a lower gear when climbing grades, to raise rpm and decrease load on engine. 

Looks like a side radiator, so probably hyd fan motor.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

8 hours ago, jcussen said:

If he is foot to the floor at 1400 to 1500 rpm, he might be making peak torque, but he will produce max. heat as well. This heat is removed by the radiator and fan. The fan can be direct, or hydraulically operated from an engine driven pump. The engine driven water pump circulates the water.      At low engine speed, water pump may not circulate water fast enough, and fan may not turn fast enough, to remove enough heat from the engine.

I have had Cat's, Cummins, and Detroits in motorhomes and have always had to shift down to a lower gear when climbing grades, to raise rpm and decrease load on engine. 

Looks like a side radiator, so probably hyd fan motor.

Exactly!

One thing I do on long grades is to shift the Allison mode out of economy so the tranny can down-shift at higher RPM points. I seldom do a foot on the floor climbing grades, I'm in no hurry.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Did Four Winds in 2005 do a side radiator?

I notice that the OP hasn't come back to answer questions such as how hot it got, did he down shift, etc. so we can't really offer other suggestions for him to try.  Sigh

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

7 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Did Four Winds in 2005 do a side radiator?

I notice that the OP hasn't come back to answer questions such as how hot it got, did he down shift, etc so we can't really offer other suggestions for him to try.  Sigh

Looks like it from this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjtvJjG23k

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Archived