Valve cover gasket?

runaway parents

Got one leaking oil  back buy the fire wall on passenger side. Any special things I should know like sealant in special places? Torque specs on valve cover bolts? Looks pretty straight forward .Where would a person find one for a 08 d 13? And what would it cost? Can I just tighten it up?

My experience with silicone and oil has not been pleasant, nor cheap.  Lost an engine because a red neck mechanic used it on an oil pan.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

36 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

My experience with silicone and oil has not been pleasant, nor cheap.  Lost an engine because a red neck mechanic used it on an oil pan.

Standard practice for lots of OEMs. Silicone didn't ruin your engine. Don't know your details since you didn't share. Improper application could get product in oil pan causing clogged pump. If that was cause it was renecks fault

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

NO SILICONE, pull valve cover clean well, take some brake clean and remove any oil residue and use weather strip adhesive and glue the gasket to the valve cover reinstall

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

Hylomar sealants work well - especially in applications where you may want to remove the cover or part again during future maintenance and you don't want silicone crumbs falling inside where they don't belong, or you don't want to spend longer cleaning up old sealant than it took to do the job. Places like a motorcycle engine valve cover, changing  diff oil in a AAM axle in a Ram or GMC pickup. It doesn't "dry" it remains pliant on the part or gasket. 

It is not as liquid as Permatex aviation sealant or as "stiff" as common silicone gasket sealants I've used.  Super nice texture and a little bit goes a long way. 

Hylomar sealants info

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The only reason I put weather strip adhesive on is to hold the gasket where you want while installing it, I have seen "sealants" cause more leaks than they have supposed to prevent, only use it on the removable part, you will not need anything where the gasket meets the head, proper torquing is important 

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

Archived