Hello All. For background, I'm currently looking at trailers(toy haulers mostly) to move in to live in full time. We recently decided on going with a travel trailer instead of a generally more expensive RVIA certified tiny house and currently looking at a 2017 Heartland Prowler 261TH. 

One thing I'm having trouble with is how to hook up a washer/dryer in the trailer. Can anyone recommend a washer/dryer combo that can be hooked up to a faucet and standard 120V outlet? I read one article recommending a Splendide model, but wrinkles seemed to be an issue with that one. Wondering if anyone has had good luck with any others in particular? Just to clarify, there are no traditional hook ups in the trailers we've been looking at.

I searched around a bit and couldn't find much on here regarding this topic, sorry if it's been covered previously. Thanks in advance!

I would prefer going to a laundry mat.  The washers in RV's or the smaller portable type I have seen do not hold very much.  I would be doing laundry daily just to keep up since the loads are so small.  For 2 people, I go twice a month and spend about  1 1/2 hr each time, so 3 hrs a month.  Wouldn't get much done in 3 hrs in the RV.  Also some parks charge extra if you have a washer/dryer and some do not want bleach discharged into their sewer systems.   You also have "where" to store it when not in use.  Will take up valuable storage space .

Pat DeJong

Splendid, LG, and Whirlpool all make washers/dryers for RV's.  You can get separate units or combos.  They are smaller and generally the front load energy efficient model types.

We have had two Splendid models and now a Whirlpool model in different RVs over the years.  IMHO the Splendid washer dryers are the best.

For us, being full timers, we would not consider being without our own washer/dryer.  While it is true that most CGs have laundry facilities they are not free.  When you start considering hauling laundry in and out of your RV, transporting it across the park along with your soap/dryer sheets, and then maybe having to wait for a machine......all of a sudden doing smaller loads in the privacy of your RV doesn't seem too bad.  

If it was me starting out I would be looking at TT models that have W/D hookups.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We did the laundromat thing for 8 years until we got very tired of it.  We never had an issue with a campground not allowing a washer/dryer but we didn't use it if we were in a COE park that had no sewer connection.  We had a Splendide installed 3 years ago and are very pleased and wouldn't be without one.  My only complaint is the occasional slight shaking of the RV when it's running.  My wife as learned tricks from RV friends that minimize wrinkles.  I would also suggest you look at RVs that are already equipped with a washer/dryer.       Greg  

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We have had a vented Splendide combo washer/dryer for many years and are glad to have it.  The loads are small, so every day might be "laundry day", and for some that is unacceptable.  It takes two loads to wash and dry the sheets, but we can do it.  With a load taking 3 to 3-1/2 hours, we can do up to 4 loads a day if needed and need to do 6 or 7 loads a week.  We air dry shirts and other things that might wrinkle.  We are used to the quirks.  When we do not have sewer we still use laundromats, but don't like them.  (There are people who love laundromats for the social life.  Go figure.)

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Another nice thing about having a w/d in the rig is the ability to set it to come on at 5:00 am and do laundry, you get up to warm towels:D.   You start a load and go do other things, so your actual time spent maybe 5 minutes loading, and 10-15 unloading, folding and putting away.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks for all the responses! I guess the main issue for us is finding specific washer/dryer combos that don't need traditional hookups, or that can use an adapter with a faucet. When browsing certain models, it is difficult to tell if it can be hooked up to a faucet. 

Big Greg, I hear you about looking for RVs that are already equipped, definitely something to consider. 

15 hours ago, NavyKid said:

Thanks for all the responses! I guess the main issue for us is finding specific washer/dryer combos that don't need traditional hookups, or that can use an adapter with a faucet. When browsing certain models, it is difficult to tell if it can be hooked up to a faucet. 

Big Greg, I hear you about looking for RVs that are already equipped, definitely something to consider. 

There may be a combo unit that you can wheel over in front of a kitchen sink and use.  As I see it this is not very practical for any RV floorplan.  First of all, any of the combo units take FOREVER to do a very small load.  Secondly, when not sitting in front of your sink doing a load it has to be stored somewhere.  Any combo unit I have ever seen is not light weight, therefore if traveling it would have to be secured pretty well.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

16 hours ago, NavyKid said:

I know that this is possible with non-vented washer/dryer combos, which take longer to dry than a vented one due to using a condenser instead of an exhaust hose.  A old coworker had a Splendide model on wheels he got from a local appliance store in the Seattle area.   This was in an apartment and the need was due to allergies.  They mostly air dried everything, since it could take 3 hours to do a dry cycle.   

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...

We just used the laundromat when we were full-timing. My SH liked to do one or two big loads a week. I still use/d the cleaners to wash and starch my shirts. Someone we all know influenced me to adopt his signature Hawaiian shirts and I prefer cotton only so have them professionally washed and pressed on hangers too.

One RVr we met said they did not want to have their clothes washed in machines other folks had used. But they thought using the dry cleaners was OK??

Navykid, regardless we always had a washer dryer equipped 5th wheel, but my SH never wanted to do a bunch of tiny loads or deal with long drying times. And we both met some nice people in the laundry room, as well as getting feedback on places nearby.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived